Forum

Author Topic: art noob needs help  (Read 3501 times)

mikefilmguy

• View Profile
art noob needs help
« on: December 20, 2015, 09:21:51 PM »
Hello all

Very excited to start scanning with a UAV and using Photoscan to create models for use in art projects and independent films.

While Photoscan is a great application, there seems to be only a few general tutorial videos and even fewer people using it.  Really wish there was a Lynda.com course (or similar) or a live person in Philadelphia PA USA area I could pay for lessons.

I've had some mild success, but I am trying to map a part of a cemetery with mostly low tombstones, but with some soaring monuments as well. You can see them like starbursts in the model at the link.

I realize I need to include images (which I have) that are perpendicular (rather than parallel) to the ground (I don't even know the terms I need to more accurately describe this) but I don't really understand how I can get these two different data sets to merge - I tried and after 24 hours of processing it came out as mush. I don't really understand how the masking tools work (how are they intelligent ? They just seem to shade the area of the mask - is it intelligent in the way it is comped with other images?)

Anyway, I need some help, but I am really determined to learn this, as it seems this opens a whole new way of thinking about imaging for me.

Thanks,

Michael

https://skfb.ly/J8YU

gatsri

• View Profile
Re: art noob needs help
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »
please PN me, may be I can give you a hand...

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

James

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 11:52:22 PM »
The intelligent scissors are only really intelligent if you hold down Ctrl as you use them, then it clings to edges in the image. At least they did last time I used that tool about 3 years ago. I'm not so fussy about masking anymore, just so long as you mask more than you need to and not less, it doesn't generally matter how clean they are if you have enough redundancy/overlap in your photos.

mikefilmguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 07:23:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for looking. Alexey I will check out those links. Ristag I will send you a message. James, thanks for that message.

I recently mentioned to a colleague at a local university the trouble I was having and they indicated a familiarity with Photoscan. They mentioned that there was a beta version of another photogrammetry app (memento by a competing software company) so we whittled the dataset down to 40 pix and gave it a whirl. The result is at the link.

https://skfb.ly/JAXz

While not accurate for scientific/documentary puposes, I really like the Seussian quality to some of the monuments! I Did not edit the sky or background. Photoscan is calculated locally, but this app uses cloud computing. I like Photoscan coz I can use it out in the field with a laptop and check whether I am getting the proper coverage.

Looking forward to working on this over break !

Best - Michael

stihl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 08:11:40 PM »
Mike,

The link you shared looks pretty...bad..if you ask me. What is it of? Looks like some industrial plant.