Forum

Author Topic: Building a face scanner for research purposes  (Read 4978 times)

Frikkie5000

• View Profile
Building a face scanner for research purposes
« on: February 24, 2016, 12:06:32 PM »
We are currently putting together a face scanner for research purposes using 10 Canon EOS 1200D camera's with EF 50mm F1.8 STM lenses. We'll be scanning 100+ people using this setup in a relatively short amount of time so optimisation is pretty important. I have a couple of questions that I'd appreciate some clarity on:

1) What would be the minimum recommended PC hardware for 3D model generation and texturing while keeping the processing time to reasonable time-frames?

2) There is also an issue with triggering the camera's simultaneously with minimal latency. The Esper ShutterCell looks like a good option. Can you use a garden variety remote shutter release connection such as the Canon RS-60E3 to trigger all of the camera's simultaneously when it's connected to the ShutterCell? Alternatively, to go one step further, can you just plug the ShutterCell into a computer and trigger all of the camera's via Breezersystems Remote Pro Multi-camera?

Krzyzaw

Re: Building a face scanner for research purposes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »
Hi,
We provide scanning services.
We have a portable ring, which we also do scans heads. We use the 64 cameras CANON 600D.
Our equipment is mobile, so if you want we can help you in your project

Best regards
Marta

email: biuro@twin3d.pl

Tyler J

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 03:53:03 PM »
what is processing time to reasonable time-frames?
1? 2h? 12h?

just go for a current 4 core 3.5Ghz I7, a ATI R9 290 and with 10 pictures you'll get processing time of around 2h with parameters set to high.

For triggering camera with no latency I use cables, however all cables must be of the same lenght to insure no delay betwen each of them.

FLuca

• View Profile
    • Another-me
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »
Same cable length will not help for latency as the delay will be about 45 nano second for 100m cable.
Even with a large rig, you will have only few nano seconds delays.
These delays are nothing compared to the camera responses time which are on the millisecond order (x1000).
As far as I know, good sync is not not to be expected from camera triggering but from light !
Good luck
Fred Lucazeau - Body Scan - www.another-me.fr
Sketchfab gallery: https://sketchfab.com/fredlucazeau