Forum

Author Topic: 25x 100 USD point and shoot cameras sufficient for face scan?  (Read 5248 times)

JohnyJoe

• View Profile
25x 100 USD point and shoot cameras sufficient for face scan?
« on: December 22, 2015, 12:22:57 AM »
Hello, im thinking about building some rig for face scanning (just face scan, not full body scan, also "only" front and left right sides of head would do, i dont need the back side of head).
Could i do it with only around 25 compact point and shoot cameras each for only around 100 USD? For example this one: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B00S9O476W

1) Would this be sufficient to get a good quality face scan (front, right and left sides of head)?

2) Would this be even possible? I need to trigger all cameras at the same time, it this even possible with these 100usd compacts?

stephan

• View Profile
Re: 25x 100 USD point and shoot cameras sufficient for face scan?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 06:39:08 PM »
You could do it but will need to spend more than the price of the cameras on synchronisation gear to use these. You would be betteroff using canon DSLRs that you can sync more easily and download images via USB.

Tyler J

• View Profile
Re: 25x 100 USD point and shoot cameras sufficient for face scan?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »
DON'T DO IT

I did the same thing, those camera are always on auto mode, meaning you will get 25 pictures with different ISO, and aperture speed.

Photogrammetry reconstruction needs pictures with the same ISO, aperture speed, and aperture opening to generate good result.

I have a 25 Coolpix array and almost all the times 5-10 of them can't focus properly.

With only 10 second hand canon 600D (DSLR) you'll get much better result.
From my experiment I saw that if all the camera focused properly then only 10 camera were required to get a face scan.