Forum

Author Topic: Using Different cameras for custom 3D scanner (photogrammetry) - possible?  (Read 4710 times)

JohnyJoe

• View Profile
Hello, im playing with the idea of building my own basic 3D scan system using photogrammetry (agisoft photoscan probably). Only around 20-25 cameras. Currently it looks like i wont be able (price wise) to get the cameras to be all the same type. I will probably have to have 3 different cameras, all from the same vendor (cannon ?) and all circa in the same price range.
But besides vendor and price range, the cameras will range, in age (1st type is new, 2nd type is 3 years old, 3rd type is also 3 years old), and of course mainly in Mpx. The newer type would have 20 Mpx, the older ones (2 types)  will have 16 Mpx) . That means cca 3 types. If im Lucky i will end up with only 2 types, but still 20 Mpx vs 16 Mpx. Will this difference be problem for agisoftphotoscan? Can it handle it (mixing photos from 2-3 different camera types for one capture session (for one model))?

Will it work? Fail completely, or work but the result will be slightly innaccurate?

scantron

• View Profile
Re: Using Different cameras for custom 3D scanner (photogrammetry) - possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 07:52:55 AM »
What is the final product?

stephan

• View Profile
You can use different types of cameras, photoscan will work with them but beware of differences in exposure and color cast that can cause the images to be too different to be recognised as having the same content.