Forum

Author Topic: Dense Point Cloud option not available in Build 'Mesh' dialogue box  (Read 4794 times)

March Castle

• View Profile
The Dense Point Cloud option is not available in the 'Source Data' Dropdown within the 'Build Mesh' dialogue box (example attached - although this is not mine) - I can only select 'Sparse Cloud' Can anyone tell me why this is?

I am not entirely sure what defines a Sparse or Dense Point cloud.

The aim is to save the data as a LAS file so that it can be used in ARCGIS.

I have aligned the images (around 500) using High accuracy settings and the Point Cloud was generated using Medium settings using Mild depth filtering.

Thank you for your help, March Castle.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:44:56 PM by March Castle »

Mohammed

• View Profile
Re: Dense Point Cloud option not available in Build 'Mesh' dialogue box
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 07:04:24 PM »
After you build the Dens Pointcloud go to File----Export Points----choose LAS format.

March Castle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 02:00:02 PM »
Thanks for your reply Tornado, but I do not have a problem creating the LAS file - The issue I am having is when I create a Dense Point Cloud using 'Medium' settings' (which was recommended) When I export the points in the form of an LAS File, the File size is tiny (less than a Mb) and does not work when I import it into ARCGIS. When I create the Dense Point Cloud using 'High' Settings, the LAS file is much larger (around 3Gb) and can be used successfully in ARCGIS.

What makes me suspicious that is that the Dense point cloud option is unavailable in the 'Source Data' Dropdown when I proceed to the 'Build Mesh' dialogue box - only Sparse cloud data can be selected. But when I create a point cloud using 'High' settings, the Dense point cloud option is available in the 'Source Data' Dropdown within the 'Build Mesh' dialogue box.

Is there an option I am selecting in my workflow (details below) that is causing this?

I open projects containing around 500 photographs with around 80% overlap.
I then Align the photographs using the 'High' accuracy setting (all other settings are left as default)
I then assign coordinates to the GCPs
I then create a Dense Point Cloud using 'Medium' setting and 'Mild' Depth Filtering
I then create a mesh - but only Sparse cloud option is available if I have used Medium setting in dense point cloud creation.
I then Save the Orthophoto and LAS Files so that I can work with them in ARCMAP.

I am keen to avoid using 'High' settings due to the increased processing time.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
Hello March,

After build the dense point cloud can you switch to the dense cloud view mode? How many points are there in the dense cloud?
Maybe you can provide the screenshot of the Chunk Info window?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

March Castle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 02:50:32 PM »
Here's a screenshot. It is in 'Point cloud' view because the 'Dense Cloud' view icon is greyed out. I am unsure why as I am sure I had previously generated the Dense Point Cloud.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »
Hello March Castle,

Can you provide the processing log of the dense cloud generation procedure then, since there's no dense cloud in the project.

You can copy that from the Console pane after the operation is finished.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC