Forum

Author Topic: Room scan - Getting rough uneven walls on mesh  (Read 5266 times)

MouseyFlash

• View Profile
Room scan - Getting rough uneven walls on mesh
« on: February 26, 2016, 03:12:38 PM »
Hey,

I've recently done a scan (With and without coded markers) on a room however whilst some parts of the mesh are perfect, others are extremely rough and bumpy, especially the walls. The photos are all sharp and have plenty of over-lap and the markers ensure theres not to much similar coloured space for agisoft to get confused about! (I have a set with no markers to)

It appears to be an issue with the depth and possibly the shadows on the wall causing some issues

Any help would be hugely appreciated, photos are both RAW (converted to Tif) and Jpeg.  I can send out the sets if anyone wants to look over t hem!

bigben

• View Profile
Re: Room scan - Getting rough uneven walls on mesh
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 02:39:25 AM »
Pretty standard for lack of surface detail.  Notice that the targets and a small area of wall around them are smooth.

MouseyFlash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »
So its a bit hopeless trying to get cleaner results I guess (Explains why the brick wall / carpet / doors are perfect!)

A quick follow up question if its ok:

As this model is accurate enough for me to re-model it inside of Maya. Is it possible to bring the modelled version from Maya into Agisoft Photoscan and re-project the textures onto the clean model from the old model (I assume by sharing UVS etc)?

This would be immense help!

Arie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 02:02:36 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you keep the orientation and scale of the two datasets aligned- sometimes the units or the axis differ between software packages.

If your clean model has a new uv-map just make sure to check "keep uv" during the texturing stage (under Mapping mode) .
Cheers.

MouseyFlash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »
I'll triple check the orientation (I know 3DS max has a funky Y-Axis and Maya enjoys using odd units so i'll check over everything) Thanks for the feedback, gives this project a glimmer of hope at least!  Are there any rough guides online on how to do this method inside photoscan?

sc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 01:32:17 PM »
Export to fbx, import to maya and do whatever, import back.

MouseyFlash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:41:52 PM »
I worked it out, I ended up re-modelling it all from scratch using the mesh from photoScan as a base and then importing it and re-generating the textures (With generic not keep uvs) and its working a treat, the mesh isnt as detailed obviously but for what I need it for its perfect!

Ill post results when its finished