Forum

Author Topic: 4K video instead of image files?  (Read 4522 times)

Grey_Area

• View Profile
4K video instead of image files?
« on: April 03, 2016, 05:51:08 PM »
What's the current state of affairs re: this? Is it possible to put the video straight into Agisoft and have the frames extracted? I've found that VLC can extract frames successfully - it's in the advanced "scene" filters - but by crikey it takes a while. To avoid inter-frame tearing, you have to slow playback down to about a quarter original speed.

Any better solutions?

Arie

• View Profile
Re: 4K video instead of image files?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:48:26 PM »
AFAIK, one cannot import video files to Agisoft. There is a bunch of software out there, which can extract single frames in an defined time intervall (for example, ffmpeg).
In general, video footage is not the best option due to the rolling shutter effect, which most cameras exhibit. Since this type of distortion cannot be corrected, it leads to worse results.

Cheers.

Mr Whippy

• View Profile
Re: 4K video instead of image files?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:31:39 AM »
I've used a GoPro and moved it around slowly to minimise rolling shutter issues.

Then I usually export frames from After Effects (after processing where required for whatever reason) and then just use larger or smaller selections and drag into PS.

I've always imagined that a decent video camera (probably CCD to remove rolling shutter issues), and high res (4k would be great if there are CCD cameras with decent sensors in 4k?) would be really nice for photogrammetry work.

But ultimately when stills cameras are smaller, lighter, and give higher res images, and at a cheaper price, you're better off just figuring out the overlaps and intervals for shooting and so on and then just doing your shots just how you need them.

PS results are MUCH better in higher res without the temporal artefacts of video compressions.

Cheers

Dave