Forum

Author Topic: Problems with dense cloud using two different cameras  (Read 2123 times)

cbnewham

• View Profile
Problems with dense cloud using two different cameras
« on: April 07, 2016, 12:47:36 PM »
While I have created models successfully with two cameras before, I've run into real problems with a recent situation in photographing a piece of sculpture.

I have two cameras: Canon 1dsIII and a Panasonic GM1. Both have made a couple of hundred images each for the same scene. I began the imaging with the Canon and swapped to the GM1 half way through (battery running out of power). There is plenty of overlap between images themselves and between the image sets from each camera.

The sparse cloud is generated successfully and the camera positions all look to be correct for both cameras.

However, when I generate the dense cloud, the images from the GM1 seem to be missing for great swathes of the sculpture - the point cloud has large gaps in it with sharp edges, yet these areas are covered very well by the images, and the gaps also have points in them in the sparse cloud.

If I create the sparse and then the dense cloud by using just one or the other camera's images then the result is fine (although, obviously, incomplete because not all areas were imaged with one camera).

Looking at the camera params after the initial sparse cloud is created, I notice that photoscan has not updated the camera distortion parameters for the GM1. They are updated if I exclude the Canon images.

Any ideas?

JMR

• View Profile
Re: Problems with dense cloud using two different cameras
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 01:28:21 PM »
Can you please share a screenshots of the camera calibration dialog showing initial and adjusted parameters for the two camera groups you should have for the mixed camera chunk?

cbnewham

• View Profile
Re: Problems with dense cloud using two different cameras
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »
Sure.  I notice that the lack of calibration is where the camera was rotated 90 degrees.