Forum

Author Topic: Importing Camera positions into Maya  (Read 14521 times)

Hollyg

• View Profile
Importing Camera positions into Maya
« on: June 01, 2012, 05:32:12 PM »
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the process for importing the cameras from Photoscan into Autodesk's Maya (which file format to use, plugins etc)?

I am new to Photoscan (but am very impressed) and have a limited knowledge of maya. I have imported the mesh created by photoscan via .obj and applied the texture in the normal maya way.

I would like to include the photoscan camera positions in my maya scene because I am using a lower res texture. I would like to provide the people I'm passing the model on to with camera positions and the original raw photos so they can reproject at whatever resolution they prefer.

Any help most appreciated.
Best
Holly

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Importing Camera positions into Maya
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »
Best for now is the COLLADA file format *.dae but if implemented the FBX then it could be even better

http://colladamaya.sourceforge.net/ is the plugin

B
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Hollyg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »
Hey Wishgranter,

Thanks so much for your reply. I downloaded the Collada plugin for Maya, but am a bit confused. I am using Photoscan Standard. I can only export the following camera files: Photoscan XML, Bundler out, CHAN files, Boujou text file and Omega Phi Kappa text file...no .dae? Sorry, still a newbie and help most appreciated.

Thanks
Holly

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 07:53:04 PM »
What options you have under FILES-EXPORT MODEL ? ther should be a PDF, OBJ, 3DS, and few other and the importaint for you is the COLLADA .DAE file format. you mentioned a Maya are you using it regulary or just want export in that app ?
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Hollyg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:39:07 PM »
Hey Wishgranter,

Thanks so much! Using COLLADA .dae worked (I now have the mesh and camera positions in maya).

For anyone reading this thread, I downloaded OpenCollada for Maya from here (it has easy instructions): http://opencollada.org/download.html

However, at this time it doesn't support Maya 2012 (so go with 2011 or 2010).

Thanks again!

Nico

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
FYI - OpenCollada not avail on linux, but I was able to import DAE in Maya with the standard Fbx plugin using DAE_FBX filetype.

7eicher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 08:52:18 PM »
Is there no other way to export camera positions only in order to convert to FBX?

Actually i only wanna to align images, without building the mesh of thousands of heavy images. Do someone know a way to convert from the offered photoscan camera export file formats to finally FBX without using DAE?