Forum

Author Topic: Processed a map, but unable to export to tiff/bigtiff (PhotoScanPro1.2.4)  (Read 4722 times)

andrekje

• View Profile
Please see photos, zooming in helps with more details about the map. (sorry for not taking screenshots, but I wanted the process to be as uninterrupted as possible)
Efter selecting to export as tiff og bigtiff, all RAM is hogged - then swapping to a fast 160GB SSD starts, ultimately it will be full, and the process fails.

Why ? - as I understand it, the data is already there, and it's just a matter of writing it to a file.
The whole dataset, with pictures and all the processed data, is only 40GB

photos : https://goo.gl/photos/wbXj2ch4TrfQXQRV9

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Hello andrekje,

During orthomosaic export each tile is generated in the memory before saving to the disk, so if you are saving single BigTIFF file in 100 k x 200 k pixels resolution (20 GPix), it will require about 100 GB RAM, so at the moment I can suggest to use split in blocks option and save the orthomosaic in four tiles  of about 5-6 GPix resolution.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

andrekje

• View Profile
the process used up 150GB of swap + 30GB RAM - did not generate a file, and was apparently stuck at 0% .
But I guess you are sure, and if it all needs to be assembled in memory, before writeout to file, I see how this can go wrong (except ~100GB was available)

I hope/guess you are already working on a sequential file writing technique that does not  require it all to fit in RAM first ?
When can we expect such improvement ?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Hello andrekje,

We are aware of this issue, but currently there's no estimated time of fix implementation.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

andrekje

• View Profile
Thank you.
Keep up the good work, and remember, that with more and more endurance on some UAV's , and higher camera resolution, one of your most valuable advantages in the market *may* be processing within reasonable hardware specifications.

Maybe even more parts of the processing can be done in chunks that make typical workstations capable of doing it.