Forum

Author Topic: too much processor consumption?  (Read 10061 times)

jan

• View Profile
too much processor consumption?
« on: June 05, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »
Hello again,

I'm wondering whether it is normal that photoscan consumes so much processer power during inspection of a model which is already finished (aligned, geo built and textured).

By inspection I mean: rotating the model, zooming in, moving and placing markers...

I'v a pc with a i7 hexacore processor (12 threads), 24 GB of RAM and nvidia GTX 580 gpu.

when i don't move anything the pc relaxes, but when I do something with it (even the smallest thing) all of my 12 processors go to 100% for a while. It is difficult to work this way. Consumption of RAM memory stays well below the limit (only maximum 25 % is used). I can't remember that I had this problem in the past.

Is it normal that my computer needs to consume almost all processor power for every small move of the finished model?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: too much processor consumption?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »
Thank you for reporting, Jan.
Could you please specify if this situation occurs on high-poly models (number of faces) or there are any markers.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 11:04:59 AM »
Hello Alexey,

The model has 199577 faces; 9 markers were already placed,

during the initial placement of the markers a few weeks ago I did not have this problem.

Even only moving the mouse without clicking anything leads to 100% processor consumption of all my processors. When I let the mouse cursor rest again, the processors fall back to background level.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:07:11 AM by jan »

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »
It seems a Driver related problem, in setting set the VBO on and eventuely install the newest drivers for GPU. if still occur, try install the older drivers - 1-2 month older. let me know if it solved or not.

What PSU zou have there and how old is the Workstation ?

try download OpenGL - OpenCL benchmark and compare it to "same" config - http://downloads.guru3d.com/LuxMark-v2.0-download-2851.html and let me know your score......

----------------
www.mhb.sk

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:34:24 PM »
Hi Wishgranter, thx for the input

I'm using ubuntu 10.04 LTS, so I guess I cannot benchmark my system (with this program).

Anyhow I don't think it is driver related as I've also a previous version of this project file, which is the same except it has only three markers (in local coordinates), and this project file is going fine in photoscan.

I must say that during the production of the 'slow' project file, I changed from local coordinates to latlong coordinates. I needed to first setup a local coordination system to provide the necessary information for setting up a WGS84 coordination system. Maybe here went something wrong (during the change of the coordinate system).

I will try again and let it know if I encounter the same problem again.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 01:09:52 AM »
Hmm ok, because amont of polys are very low, so  it seems that is not used a 3D capabilites of  GPU and it mus be run on CPU, if you do a another project, or without the coordinate space it make same thing ??
----------------
www.mhb.sk

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »
I encounter this problem also with other models.

It has something to do with markers. With markers, moving, rotating, zooming, saving the model goes very slow (full processor consumption),

but when I delete the markers, everything goes fast again (low processor consumption)

I can't find a reason why the presence of markers should do this.

could this be a bug?

Does anybody else encounters this problem?

update:
I have not always this problem. With some models with markers I don't have this problem. The number of faces is always 200k
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:56:52 AM by jan »

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 02:48:24 PM »
try create 20k mesh, it coul be something with drivers of GPU, but must be tested...... have you the newest drivers ?? try install newest and some 3 month older, amount of 200k is nothing for 580GTX, it should handle up to 50mil in realtime on that config. it seems that something work not as it should, it seems that driver cannot proces the data and then it mus do the CPU. can run there ANY GPU related benchmark ? if you create mesh with say 5mil trias without marks it work fast ??
----------------
www.mhb.sk

James

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:48:16 PM »
I managed to recreate this problem too (not deliberately!)

I have a basic scene - 26 photos 14MP each and have not yet even generated geometry.

Before aligning photos I went through and set 23 markers but did not give them coordinates in GC. Then I performed align photos.

It took a long time to display the points (22k points) after aligning and now just moving the mouse over the 3d viewport sends processor usage to 100% for about 5 seconds.

I haven't ever used the approach of settings markers before alignment, and on this occasion the alignment is completely screwed up anyway. Until now I had been aligning the photos and then creating and coordinating the markers with no issues.

PC is i7 2700k 16GB GTX 580

PSZ file too large to attach but have extracted the doc.xml file
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:56:02 PM by James »

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 10:40:07 PM »
One more time, test there some benchmark, GPU oriented and let me know score, if it have something with drivers then it will be to see - benchmark wil have low score, will not execute, or something other. if not then is problem of Pscan that collide with something ..... or if exist GPU monitoring sw then run it and see what the GPU do when the CPU is on full speed... LINUX is not my field, under Win can help..
 OK ?
----------------
www.mhb.sk

James

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »
I'm using win7 not linux, and not asking for help, just reporting!

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »
James, sorry, im get not that wrote JAN,  with same problem  8) ....... Jan wrote that he use UBUNTU......

But you can try the http://www.geeks3d.com/20120510/gpu-shark-0-6-3-download-gpu-monitoring-nvidia-geforce-amd-radeon/ and what reading you get in detailed mode, that mean if CPU go UP if the GPU is too on high numbers......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 06:55:49 PM »
Hello all,

In the next update this issue with the markers will be fixed.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC