Forum

Author Topic: Combine Structured Light Scanning with Photogrammetry  (Read 5108 times)

jkao89

• View Profile
Combine Structured Light Scanning with Photogrammetry
« on: April 28, 2016, 01:59:08 AM »
Hi,

I would like to possibly combine structured light scanning with photogrammetry in order to improve mesh output in terms of surface detail, coverage, and texture quality. The target scanning area will be ~7 ft by 4ft. Currently looking at the DAVID SLS-3 scanner.

I'm assuming that I would complete these two processes independently of each other (assuming everything stays in the same position). How would I utilize the information/mesh from structured light scanning in Photoscan to improve the alignment/mesh generation process? Could someone guide me through the exact steps?  :D

Thank you

bigben

• View Profile
Re: Combine Structured Light Scanning with Photogrammetry
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 06:59:06 AM »
You could merge the scans in an external application, mesh and then import the mesh into Photoscan for texturing.

Create point clouds from both.
Align/scale structured light scan to Photoscan point cloud (MeshLab or CloudCompare for example)
Merge point clouds and create mesh
Import mesh into Photoscan
Generate texture

toxicmag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »
Hello bigben,

is it possible to import the mesh from external sources and texture it in photoscan?
I thought it's impossible because you lose the relationship between points/mesh and the pictures when you leave the photoscan proocess and work externally.

Thanks

Alex
#multirotor #VTOL #Trinity #Quantum-Systems #a6000 #a7R #RedEdge #ALTUM #RX1II

SAV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:55:44 AM »
Hi jkao89,

You might want to have a look at this solution:
http://www.pi3dscan.com/index.php/instructions

Each camera on the rig takes 2 pictures. On the 1st image no projection/structured light is present, on the 2nd image the projection/structured light is displayed. The image set with projection is then used to compute the 3D mesh. The image set without projection is only used to generate the texture.

You can find more detail on the pi3dscan.com website.

Regards
SAV