Forum

Author Topic: "Error reading project"  (Read 19771 times)

Finch

• View Profile
"Error reading project"
« on: May 04, 2016, 05:07:34 PM »
Hi there,

I have recently completed some projects on Agisoft Photo Scan Pro. They appeared to save properly but I have been unable to open the files, and have been given a "error reading project" message (Error Disk IO error).

I'm wondering if its the files or perhaps the Version of Agisoft I'm using? I'm using Version 1.2.4

many thanks.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: "Error reading project"
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 05:27:17 PM »
Hello Finch,

Probably some data hasn't been saved completely.

Are you using PSZ or PSX format?

In the latter case I can suggest to check the contents of doc.xml file inside frame.zip archive (somewhere in subdirs of corresponding .files folder) and in the very end of the file you can find the links to the corresponding project elements, like dense_cloud, depth_maps and etc. If there are no related folders next to frame.zip, you can remove such lines from doc.xml and try to re-open the project.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

VanForester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 09:24:57 PM »
Hello there Alexey,

I recently completed processing a large dataset in Photoscan Pro and am now getting the same "error reading project" message as FInch when I open the .psx. I have not had a chance to familiarize myself with the .file structure, however, I have found the doc.xml inside frame.zip.

Could you elaborate on how to identify the lines to remove from the .xml? I am uncertain what you mean by "if there are no related folders next to frame.zip you can remove such lines from doc.xml..."

This is a large project (1750 images) and I've sunk a lot of time into processing, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:15:41 PM by VanForester »

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:42:31 PM »
Hello VanForester,

In the doc.xml you can see the relative paths to the certain elements of the project, so you can just check, if there are such folders and files inside. If not, then remove the corresponding line from doc.xml.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

VanForester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 11:57:28 PM »
OK, thanks for clarifying and for the fast response!

I have verified that the doc.xml within frame.zip contains the relative paths to project elements and it all looks good to me. The only variation is that the "elevation" and "model" folders are followed by ".1". This is, however captured within the .xml so I believe that they should be referenced correctly. Also some of the project element folders only contain a .zip file... could this be the source of the error? Should I unzip these to the appropriate project element folders?

If not do you have any suggestions as to what my next step would be to try and recover this project?

I've attached a screen clip showing the .xml and the file hierarchy for your reference.

Thanks

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:31:56 AM »
Hello VanForester,

In case zip files in the folders are of a reasonable size, I can suggest to remove elements from the doc.xml one by one to identify the problem (it may be a good idea to keep the backup for all the data). I'd try elements removal in the following order: dense_cloud, orthomosaic - then not so important. If the problem is in the dense cloud, you can then rebuild it from the depth maps.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

schliemann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 07:18:06 AM »
Hello, I would like to know if a solution has been found, since I have encountered the same problem after creating a dense cloud over a period of 2 days. Currently I get a message that I "can't save project" and when I try to generate report I get an "error reading project" message.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 09:00:06 AM »
Hello schliemann,

Which OS you are using? Does the started application (PhotoScan) has write access rights to the project files location?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

schliemann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 10:48:23 PM »
Hello Alexey,

I am using Windows 10 64-bit and photoscan has write access to the project location. Perhaps the problem might be that the sparse cloud was created on a different machine with a more advanced version of Photoscan (v. 1.3.1). The problem occured when I tried to continue the workflow for dense cloud creation on a machine running v. 1.2.4.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 12:42:21 AM »
Hello schliemann,

PSX project file format is not compatible with the older versions of PhotoScan. If you wish to use the results of 1.3 processing int he older versions you need to save the project in PSZ format choosing 1.2 version option.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

ak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 07:06:19 AM »
Hi,
I am having a similar problem. Photoscan 1.3.1 on Linux and using .psx files. I get an 'Error Reading Project' message when trying to open projects that have been moved from one folder location to another (the file opened correctly prior to the move). The console reads 'Error: can't read project: /.../Desktop/041317 River.files/project.zip

I am new to Photoscan, I am assuming there are some dependencies I have somehow broken but I am not finding documentation of this. Can I recover these files or failing that how can I safely move these files in the future?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 07:47:10 AM »
Hello ak,

You need to move .files folder that corresponds to the PSX file to the same location. PSX file itself contains only link to this folder.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

ak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 08:48:22 PM »
Thanks Alexey,
I should have clarified that the .files folder is also in the same directory location. I have also tried putting both the .psx and the .files folder in a new folder together. I have looked at the xml file in the frame.zip folder and as suggested above and all the paths seem correct/the folders exist. Also since this priject opened corectly before it was moved the issue of incompletely written/saved files seems unlikely. Do you have another idea as to what the problem may be (this has occurred with multiple project files)?
Thank you.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
Hello ak,

Can you please send the following files from the project structure (at least for one chunk, if there are many): project.zip, chunk.zip and frame.zip to support@agisoft.com?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

ak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 05:33:12 AM »
Hi, I have been unable to get a repeat of the problem after several trials. I am beginning to suspect a file naming hygiene issue related to another user of the same computer. Apologies and thanks for the quick responses. I will email those files if I am able get a repeat and verify that a problem exists.
Thanks