Forum

Author Topic: Point Cloud .obj not importing/opening  (Read 7059 times)

Hollyg

• View Profile
Point Cloud .obj not importing/opening
« on: June 13, 2012, 08:00:25 PM »
Hi there,

I am new to Photoscan, but already I think it's great! I have been using Photoscan standard to produce models of film sets for use in visual/digital effects.

So far I have exported .obj to use in Autodesk Maya, this has all been successful and with the texture on the shader it looks great.

I am interested in exporting the point cloud too. However, I cannot import/open it in the same way I do the model. Maya won't read the point cloud .obj.

Can anyone give me some help/advice? I started trying to take the point cloud via blender or meshlab but without any success.

Best
Holly

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Point Cloud .obj not importing/opening
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »
Working with pointcloud in Maya-Max is problematic. PointCloud is very different data type, so working with it in tool thtat support mostly just Polygonal data is complicated. What is your goal with Pointcloud in CG editor ?
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Hollyg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »
Hi Wishgranter,

My goal is to provide a pointcloud and a textured mesh to the people using it. The smoothed mesh for a modelling purpose, the pointcloud for trackers/matchmovers as locators. When exporting as a point cloud the colour isn't important, I'd really just like the points as locators...I already have mel/py scripts to import ascii text files and IDX from total stations as locators, is there any way to get the points exported in any of these forms?

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 09:16:02 PM »
Try not using the MODEL export but the EXPORT POINT menu, have not tested fully but it should work, there a few formats to choose.... let us know if that working or not :-)
:
----------------
www.mhb.sk