Forum

Author Topic: Difference between Wavefront .obj and Collada .dae exports  (Read 8667 times)

Hollyg

• View Profile
Difference between Wavefront .obj and Collada .dae exports
« on: June 14, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »
Hi there,

Can anyone help me understand what the .obj and .dae exports from photoscan do to the mesh? Are normals changed/edited in one and not the other?

I have exported a model in both formats and imported them into Maya. Both I have given a Lambert shader and applied the same jpg texture. However, the textured models look different. The mesh looks the same when looking at the wireframe, but the shaded .obj looks smooth in comparison to the .dae which makes the faces of the mesh more obvious. The .dae also makes the texture darker.

So can anyone tell me what is lost/changed in each so I can try and decide which to use?

Thanks

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Difference between Wavefront .obj and Collada .dae exports
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
best is the OBJ, but delete the MTL file. it defines material but with some weird settings.. let us know then. im working with MAX and there is no difference if OBJ or DAE,except the MTL file.....
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Hollyg

• View Profile
Re: Difference between Wavefront .obj and Collada .dae exports
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »
Hey Wishgranter,

Thanks again! Deleted the mtl and imported obj and dae to maya. The textured models look still look different, but the obj does look the best one.

Therefore, I'll go for using the obj (with mtl deleted) and just use the dae for the camera positions...

Thanks
Holly