Forum

Author Topic: Merging two mesh halves of an object  (Read 9098 times)

Hocknull

• View Profile
Merging two mesh halves of an object
« on: November 28, 2012, 08:26:01 AM »
HI,

I have two separate meshes created in photoscan of a single object. I could only access each side by flipping the object so the background is the same. Merging chunks does not seem to work as there is not enough overlap. Is there some other way of creating a single mesh from two halves. E.g. rotating, scaling and alligning them then connecting the two?

Thanks

S

James

• View Profile
Re: Merging two mesh halves of an object
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »
If there is not enough overlap then you won't be able to align the two halves in photoscan.

It sounds like the background is causing you problems, and this can be masked out fairly effectively using the mask from model function under tools.

Align half of the photos where the background is consistent, then generate geometry, and then import mask from the model (Tools -> Imprt -> Masks - From model and active chunk only)

Then create another chunk with the other half of photos, and do the same.

Then your background should be more or less masked out in all photos, so you have the option to align chunks, or append the chunks into one and try aligning all photos together.

But as I said if you dont have enough overlap between the two halves then it won't work anyway.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »
Sorry i don't mean append chunks, rather click and drag the masked photos into a single chunk for alignment.

MitchellT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »
You could also try using MeshLab (Free) http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/
Take a look at the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g9Hap4rX0k&list=UU70CKZQPj_ZAJ0Osrm6TyTg&index=30&feature=plcp
Hope this helps...