Forum

Author Topic: Measurements  (Read 3652 times)

ekbmuts

• View Profile
Measurements
« on: June 19, 2016, 06:51:19 AM »
I have placed 2 markers on my 3D model in Photoscan, 50' apart (I measured the distance before I placed them).

I have selected both of them in the Workspace pane (even though the manual says to do this in the Reference pane - I don't see any markers in the Reference pane) and created a Scale Bar.

The scale bar was definitely created. I see it in the 3D model and a Scale Bar has appeared in the Workspace pane (and not the Reference pane as the manual says it will).

The manual says that a scale bar will be created and an instant added to the Scale Bar list on the Reference pane.

And this is where this story ends.

Scale Bar list on the reference pane?  I don't have any such list on my Reference pane.

I'm at my wits' end.

All I want to do is indicate that a certain element in my model is 50' long so that when I bring it into 3ds max, it shows up at the right size.

Help!

Jon

rbnkc

• View Profile
Re: Measurements
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 07:42:06 AM »
Not an answer to your problem, but if your markers are on your model just scale it in 3ds Max

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 08:53:48 PM »
Hello Jon,

Could you provide the screenshot of the Reference pane that includes cameras, markers and scale bars sections?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

ekbmuts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 11:49:17 PM »
Hey Alexey,  I think the Reference pane is too big for a single screen shot. 

Can I forward you instead the project file?  Of course, you won't be able to link to any photos but maybe you don't  need to.

Jon

ekbmuts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 06:38:29 AM »
Alexey,  Okay - here you go.  This is a screen shot of my entire screen.  You will note that the markers are in place in the model view and there is a red line between them.

I have scrolled all the way to the bottom of the Reference pane, to the point where "Total Error" shows up.  But there is no indication of anywhere to input or confirm a scale.  Neither at the bottom nor the top of that panel. Neither at the far left or the far right.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 08:44:47 AM »
Hello Jon,

Looks like you've shrink the markers/scalebars sections, you can try to dispay them by dragging the bottom line, or just reopen PhotoScan window.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

ekbmuts

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 11:53:30 PM »
Yeah - that was it.  Being a newbie, when I first opened the program I figured I didn't need those panes...  Typical, right?

But okay - I have more questions.  It seems to me that I can only place markers on geometry when doing so in the shaded mode (for example). In other words, if I try to put a marker on the "ground" where there is no geometry, that won't work.

Can you either confirm or deny my observation?

Thanks, Alexey.

Jon

ekbmuts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 12:14:34 AM »
Okay - so I've got those panes showing now: both Markers and Scale Bars.

But please look at the attached screen grab.  You will see that I have placed 2 markers on the shaded version of my ballerina model.  On one of her feet.  So far so good.

I couldn't select these markers in the Model viewport as I think I should be able to, but I could select them both in the Workspace pane.  I did so and created a Scale Bar from these 2 markers.

No scale bar showed up in the Model viewport but a scale bar showed up in both the Workspace pane and the Scale Bars pane, so I'll go with that.  Don't know why it didn't show up in the Model viewport.  And I'm talking about a line between the 2 markers.  That line didn't show.

You'll notice that I have no option to insert a measurement in the Scale Bars pane.  In fact, click as I might, I can't enter any data in any columns at all in the Scale Bars pane.  I would like to enter a  value in the "Distance est (m)" column but no matter where or how I click, no window opens up where I can enter a number.  Interestingly enough, when I double-click in the "Accuracy (m)" column, a window does open up.  But I don't know what to even put in that window.

And so I'm bugged again. And seeing as I'm in California and you're in Europe, I won't have an answer from you for some hours.

So I'll keep trying and hunting an punching around and tearing my hair out...

Jon

ekbmuts

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 12:19:05 AM »
Quick update:

When I switch to "View Source" in the Reference pane, I can finally enter data in the "Distance (m)" column of the Scale Bars pane.

I had it set to "View Estimated" because that's what the Help file says.

So this seems to have debugged it.

But please do tell me if I'm doing this right or if I just lucked out and this is not how it's supposed to work.

Final question for this post:  Is it possible to move markers in model views or do I have to switch to photo view to do that.  I don't seem to be able to move (or select) markers in model view.

Jon

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 08:11:49 AM »
Hello Jon,

You cannot move markers in the model view, so to change their positions you need to refine the projections on the individual photos.

As for the Reference pane, source values tab should be used to input measured values, whereas estimated values show the coordinate/distance information according to the reconstruction results referenced using those source values.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

ekbmuts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 08:53:59 AM »
Alexey,  Great.  Thank you very much.  I'm making progress!

Jon