Forum

Author Topic: Exported tiled model problems  (Read 3559 times)

ekbmuts

• View Profile
Exported tiled model problems
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:01:30 AM »
I've noticed that when I export a tiled model and bring it into 3ds max, the individual tiles don't "fit" perfectly.  Meaning, the texture looks "cracked".  This shows up in the viewport and in the render (V-ray).

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Any suggestions as to how to fix?

Jon

rbnkc

• View Profile
Re: Exported tiled model problems
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 05:31:52 PM »
I had this same problem and its because the background of the texture map is white. There are several ways to handle this. In 3ds max, go into the material editor for the object, there is a color selector to the right of the map file name. Change it to black. An alternate that may work that I haven't tried, assuming you're importing an obj file, in the import window, under materials is a button that says "force black ambient" I think that does the same. Worst case scenario you can photoshop the map file and fill the background with a color similar to your object.. I think

Hope this helps

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »
Hello Jon,

Does it look similar to the issue described in the following thread?
http://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=1927

If so, then you should probably remove alpha-channel from the texture file or in the model viewer you are using.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

ekbmuts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:39:54 AM »
Thanks a lot Alexey and rbnkc and yes to both suggestions.  That's exactly what is happening.

As a note, Alex Alvarez (Founder and President of Gnomon School of VFX and just a cool guy generally) did a 2-hour seminar on photogrammetry and the use of Photoscan.  I wasn't there but it's streamed.  I just watched it and it has a ton of very valuable tips and tricks in it, particularly on this very subject.

So there you go.  I'm a happy camper.

Thanks a lot.

Jon

PS.  That Alex Alvarez video is at http://livestream.com/gnomon/an-evening-with-alex-alvarez if anyone is interested.