Forum

Author Topic: Pillars on front patio look like stalactites and stalagmites  (Read 2181 times)

rockpuller

• View Profile
I have been modeling the exterior of a home and the front patio has multiple white pillars that don't result in a realistic rendering. Has anyone worked with home patios with white pillars? What can I do to improve the rendering?

ekbmuts

• View Profile
Re: Pillars on front patio look like stalactites and stalagmites
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 02:40:39 AM »
For what it's worth, I've had trouble with plain, white, featureless elements.  Perhaps your pillars are like that.  If there are no features on the surface for Photoscan to recognize, then it's possible that it won't be able to model it.  Because it can't get a grip on the depth information it doesn't know what it's looking at.

If you can, you might want to make those pillars more recognizable by putting some distinct marks on them.  You can always paint those marks out in Photoshop when you generate your final texture.  But you'd probably have to make sure you can get them off the pillars themselves too...

Hope this helps.

Jon

jwoods

• View Profile
Re: Pillars on front patio look like stalactites and stalagmites
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 06:25:32 PM »
It might be easier to just delete those points before building your model and then use something like Sketchup to add the pillars back in from a generic model for the final product.