Forum

Author Topic: Newbie needs help getting Hi resolution output  (Read 3410 times)

Spencehg

• View Profile
Newbie needs help getting Hi resolution output
« on: July 04, 2016, 09:11:24 PM »
Using standard Photoscan license I am creating models of complex archaeological rock art cliffside panels. Current model using approximately 500 @ 10 megapixel DNG files. They are segregated into 10 chunks. Some future model areas will be a bit smaller but some will be substantially larger.
aligning each chunk at high quality level - results have been excellent
building point cloud to High level results are excellent but ultimate data set is huge
Have dropped down to medium quality point cloud
Create Mesh at medium quality
Texture mesh using all cameras or mosaic  with 4 output files
In all cases the geometry of the 3D model is superlative.
When I merge models from multiple chunks I get superlative alignment and geometry.
The problem is that I really need higher resolution of the details on the cliff face.
I would appreciate any advice on what combination of factors may prove to be most beneficial

? 10 megapixel vs 24 megapixel images - The original 10mp photos are excellent for non model use resolution, we can easily acquire new photos in 24mp. Will increased image file size impact output model size. I don't care about processing time but I do need reasonable size output.
? Any reason not to stick with highest quality camera alignment
? What combination of quality levels/settings of Point Cloud, Mesh and Texture might result in improved texture resolution while maintaining a reasonable size output model.
At this point, smaller output models exported to PDF have been fine. Assumption is that large final models will be exported to OBJ.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated
Thanks and regards

shaav@hotmail.de

• View Profile
Re: Newbie needs help getting Hi resolution output
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 01:14:18 PM »
Hello Spencehg,
What do you mean by saying "The problem is that I really need higher resolution of the details on the cliff face.". Do you miss sharp edges or is the resolution of the texture not high enough? I myself was were impressed when I changed the resolution of the texture from 2048 to 8192. For my last project, a galia melon, I choose a texture of 16384. Since then I can't see any difference between the model and the real melon.

Good luck

stihl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 02:07:59 PM »
You can try upping the texture resolution as Shaav suggested.

If you're missing fine geometry, try creating a High mesh from a Medium point cloud.

Spencehg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 04:09:13 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions.
The detail of the geometry of my dense point cloud and resultant meshes are excellent. I have been creating High quality Dense Point Clouds and High quality Meshes. Therefore my models have been extremely large. My problem is the resolution of the imagery from the original photographs as they appear on the mesh. It is as if the photos are out of focus. The one thing I have not changed is the texture settings. They have always been set at 4096. I will try using a higher value

Thanks again

stihl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 04:14:44 PM »
That's exactly the value that you should increase if you want to increase the texture resolution. They look out of focus/blurry because they're a downsampled version of the original images. Upping the texture resolution will fix that, but don't go overboard. 8192 or 16348 are fine.