Forum

Author Topic: Interior scan question  (Read 4673 times)

Snoopey

• View Profile
Interior scan question
« on: July 16, 2016, 09:14:53 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a complete newb to all this and wanted to build a quick model of my office room for use in VR.
I'm having an issue which is that photooscan is ignoring the walls and ceiling of my room when building a point cloud and mesh. I'm only getting the floor and a few items on my desk.
I'm sure there are some simple settings I've missed which will tell the software not to exclude these plain homogeneous areas but I can't find it.

I've attached where my scan is at the moment.

I'm not really fussed about the quality at the moment, as long as I can see roughly where I am in my room :)

Vlad

• View Profile
Re: Interior scan question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 02:45:25 AM »
Please show camera placement. Probably you just not have enough coverage on walls or walls on photos at angle more than 45ยบ

ekbmuts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 05:02:37 AM »
I would add that if your walls are plain and with no visible texture or features, Photoscan will have trouble with that.  The program needs to be able to identify features so that it can discern depth and placement of elements in its final model.  Blank white walls are IMHO one of the worst things to try to scan.

You can project a texture onto the wall.  I've seen that done with models also.  Project a random texture onto the walls to give Photoscan something to see and grab onto.

You might ask how to get the proper colour of the walls back in your final texture.  I think the answer to that is to also shoot the walls with no texture projected onto them and then simply switch out the textures.  You'd have to set your camera up and project the texture and shoot and image, then turn the projection off and shoot an image, move your camera, turn the projection and shoot an image, turn it off and shoot an image and so on.  A bit tedious but that's what I would try and do.  Name the untextured images and the textured images the same but put them into different folders.  Build your model with the textured images.  Switch them out before you go to make your texture.

Maybe someone else here has a better idea but that's my 2 pence.

Jon

Snoopey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 11:57:48 AM »
Thanks both. I've attached a screenshot  of the cameras. Not super clear but what I did was 3 passes around the room, one pointing 45 degrees towards the floor, one pointing straight out, one pointing towards 45 degrees towards the ceiling.

I also unfortunately do not have a projector... Maybe I could do something like blue tack some lego pieces to my wall to get around this. Anyone have a similar solution?

Kiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »
1. You can paint you walls and the ceiling (not allways practical ;D )
2. you can put something removeable on it (post-its, stickers)
3. Sometime it helps when you illuminate your walls with a sidelight, so that the geometric structure of your wall comes out.
4. If you have an old kinect laying around, you can use its pattern projection system if you shoot your photos pairwise in infrared and normal light.

Karsten
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:17:49 AM by Kiesel »

shaav@hotmail.de

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 09:18:24 AM »
My results have become a lot better after I purcased another lens that helped me to do much sharper pictures. Apart from that, even with a cheap lens your results should be much better. Which camera settings do you use?

Instead of standing and protographing downwards, straight forward and upwards I recommend photographing straight forward only. Therefore you will have to go down on your knees ;)

Which settings did you use in Photoscan?