Forum

Author Topic: DNG import options?  (Read 6395 times)

MeHoo

• View Profile
DNG import options?
« on: July 23, 2016, 04:42:31 PM »
The addition of DNG as an image type is great, as it would eliminate any need to save a thousand TIFF files after uploading the DNGs into lightroom, but it does limit a few things, such as setting custom white balance and color profile, which are about the only two things I do to post process my photos before saving out my TIFF files. 

Do you forsee Photoscan having the ability to load a custom color profile saved out via x-rite color checker passport?  I shoot a white card and a macbeth chart for every shoot.  It would be excellent to see this ability added.

Thanks.

MeHoo

• View Profile
Re: DNG import options?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 02:51:11 PM »
Also,

I am getting white blips from the sky at the edges of the walls or geometry with DNG that I did not get with TIFF.  This is similar to how jpegs act with less dynamic range.  Is the DNG forced to 12bit?  My camera takes 14bit.  Wondering if that has something to do with it because when saved as TIFF it is using all 14 to fill the 16bit, not clippping anything.

Just curious.  Not getting the best results with this method.

Could processing first with a lower resolution be using less bit depth and downsampling the images?  I am unsure of what happens internally when you change your preferences for quality during each stage of processing.  Would be handy to know.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:30:47 AM by MeHoo »

MeHoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »
Also,

If I convert my sony RAW to dng upon import into lightroom and embed the original sony file to essentially future-proof my files, does Photoscan use this data differently than if it was just the DNG file?

Thanks,

- Justin Mijal

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 11:12:38 PM »
Hello Justin,

As I've mentioned in another thread about DNG format (http://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5539.msg27089#msg27089), PhotoScan uses As Shot parameters from the DNG file. No corrections stored in XMP data are applied by PhotoScan at the moment.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

MeHoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 01:10:03 AM »
Sorry, I must have missed that post. 

Is there any plan for a "profile exporter" plugin for Lightroom that can just export a preset based off of a single file that can be applied to and entire import of DNGs into photoscan?

Sounds like the easiest option to fix, no?  I am talking only supporting white balance and color corrections.  Or perhaps can we load the x-rite color checker profiles that are generated for lightroom? 

Just trying to find a happy medium here.

I am also very curious why my sky is being picked up like jpegs.  I DID process on low first.

- Justin