Forum

Author Topic: Create simple plane or polygon to export, align and re-import.  (Read 4824 times)

MeHoo

• View Profile
I was thinking of the easiest method to align my project to a known coordinate system, and I thought if we could just create a plane in Photoscan, export it to our package of choice, scale, and rotate and move it to origin, then re-import this, couldn't this be a very quick method to orient and scale a scene? 

Or am I missing a feature already that I can use?  Rotating and scaling the bounding box and mesh without any sort of dialogs is painful at best.. There is very little precision to it in a software that is all about precision... :/

What is the best method, currently, to orient a scan to origin at the proper scale?  I can create a scale bar easy enough, but the orientation is a bit more difficult, especially with a point cloud.  I hate processing a dense cloud for 40 hours only to find that my bounding box isn't set up properly.

Any help appreciated.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Create simple plane or polygon to export, align and re-import.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 05:19:10 PM »
Hello MeHoo,

In principle, using Python it is possible to use scaled and reoriented mesh as a reference, providing that the relative positions of the mesh vertices and vertex order have not changed. In this case it's possible to get the transformation matrix for meshes and to apply it to the complete chunk.

One of the easiest ways to apply correct scale and orientation of the model is placing coded targets somewhere is scene. For example, a square plate with four coded targets places in the corners forming perfect square - it will allow to set up 4-6 scale bars and also set up the coordinate system base plane.

But what's the issue with the bounding box orientation and dense cloud? Are some parts of the area of interest cut by the box or what?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

MeHoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 05:22:22 PM »
Hey Alexey,

It's more a problem that in an ortho view I can't ever seem to get a straight rotation of the box.. like I don't have enough precision on the rotation so it's always just a bit off.  Also.. no good viewport alignment options to make sure things are straight.  I am doing a bunch of brick walls, etc, so I have to move the point cloud to the bottom edge of the viewport to rotate and use that as a "level" line.. it's just not the best method IMO.

I feel that this whole system could use vast improvements. 

And while I own the pro version, I have not learned enough python yet to be able to do any of this.  I wish the community here shared more of their python scripts to be honest.  We need a "scriptspot.com" type community for photoscan.  ;p

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 05:45:20 PM »
Hello MeHoo,

There are some most popular and demanded scripts in the Wiki:
http://wiki.agisoft.com/wiki/Python

Also some script samples are published in Python scripting section of the forum.

Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

MeHoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 05:51:16 PM »
Yeah I am just missing that precision.  In max, I can use spinners to rotate with precision.