Forum

Author Topic: 3Dpdf export fails  (Read 6242 times)

spiker

• View Profile
3Dpdf export fails
« on: August 17, 2016, 11:19:28 AM »
Hello.
The new version 1.2.5 does not export working 3Dpdf.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dpdf export fails
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »
Hello spiker,

We haven't been able to reproduce the problem on a random projects, so could you please specify the parameters of the model (number of polygons/points, texture atlas size) and export, size of the PDF on the disk and the application that you are using to view the file?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

sastun1962

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 11:25:59 PM »
Hi Alexey,
I have the same problem with 1.2.6 version
here my parameters:
nr of points 14.468.141
textures size 16200 x 1
PDF size 58.537.816

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 09:21:07 AM »
Hello sastun1962,

Do you have issues with the model display? Which application you are using? Also please specify if the model with the considerably lower number of polygons (less than 1 million) and texture atlas with the size lower than 4000 pixels can be displayed in the same application.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Skyviewimaging

• View Profile
    • SkyviewImaging.com
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:54:22 PM »
Hello.
I am VERY new to this, but am having the same (or at least similar) issues. Please let me know if I am just missing a crucial step to the process or something.

My problem (I have already created the orthomosaic, the mesh, and the dense point cloud):

When I try to export the sparse cloud to PDF, it processes for a few seconds and the PDF file is large enough, but (using the most current Adobe Creative Cloud software) I only see a small "?" in the corner of the screen and no actual data.

When I try to export the dense cloud to PDF, it processes for a while (half an hour maybe?) and gets to 100%, but stays at 100% for a few hours. When I give up and cancel the process, the PDF file is very large, but there is only a "?" on the screen - no data.

When I try to export the 3D Model to PDF, it only processes for a few seconds, then gives me the same "?" in the corner (tiling does not help).

My system:
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 2.4GHz processors
634 GB Ram
Dual Nvidia Quadro M4000 GPUs

My program:
I am using Agisoft PhotoScan Pro Version 1.2.6 build 2834 (64 bit)
the Dense Cloud has 276,860,440 points
There are 161 aligned cameras

Thank you for any input.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 09:46:26 PM »
Hello Skyviewimaging,

Do you mean that you have exported 200 millions of points to 3D PDF? What's the size of this file?

I think it's a way too much for PDF format.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Skyviewimaging

• View Profile
    • SkyviewImaging.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 09:57:08 PM »
Alexey,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, but I have seen it done with other programs without a hitch.
In the meantime, I have cropped the model data and added the texture. The exported model PDF did work after I did that.
I will attempt to crop the point cloud and try to export that with fewer points. I still have to learn how to do that, but I am hoping it is as easy as cropping the model was.
 :)

Skyviewimaging

• View Profile
    • SkyviewImaging.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 11:32:54 PM »
Alexey,

I was able to easily crop the dense cloud to just the area the client needs.

This left me with 92,203.239 points

The PDF processed without failing and created a PDF 1.2Gb PDF, so I think there is actual data there.

When I try to open it, though, I get a white screen with six red "$" (dollar sign) symbols.

Is there a maximum number of points in a dense cloud that will successfully export to a 3D PDF?

Thanks

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 01:26:27 AM »
Hello Skyviewimaging,

I don't think 3D PDF is the right format to store such huge point clouds or meshes. Usually we recommned to have less than 300,000 polygons or 1,000,000 points in the cloud for 3D PDF export.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Skyviewimaging

• View Profile
    • SkyviewImaging.com
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 01:44:04 AM »
Alexey,

Thanks for the information - that is a good benchmark for me.

I was specifically asked to provide a 3D PDF, but I could probably talk them into a different format if I could show them how to use it. I suspect they are trying to get something they can easily rotate around without having CAD or GIS software (it is aerial vertical imagery).

The KML comes through great, but the new aerials get confusing with Google Earth imagery behind it.
There are numerous freeware "readers" online for 3D CAD files, but I need to see what other 3D formats I can export from PhotoScan.  Maybe IGES or something? I also have Autodesk products, Solidworks, and ArcView at my disposal, so I can read just about any 3D format and convert it using one of those programs.

I am currently trying to "sell" them on using the 3D model PDF that I exported from Agisoft. Unfortunately, it looks very "stretched" in places (trees, etc.) so I anticipate they will ask about that. I am thinking of cropping the model and recreating the mesh with more accuracy, but will that make the PDF model export too large?

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all your guidance :-)

FYI: I am attending the regional Professional Aerial Photography Association Conference in a few weeks and I have been really talking up PhotoScan (there are quite a few out there available), so people are now asking me questions like the ones I am asking you (as if I am an expert or something) so I am thankful to have the correct answers for them.