Forum

Author Topic: Sacrificing colour, for a better scan  (Read 4241 times)

gjpetch

• View Profile
Sacrificing colour, for a better scan
« on: August 26, 2016, 12:28:06 PM »
I've been experimenting with improving scans using blotchy facepaint for some time, but starting to get pretty happy with my results now; thank you Agisoft!! I think you'd be hard pressed to get results like this from even the most high end laser scanner.
I'm still getting some slight artifacts here and there, but that's mostly lack of coverage, and unintentional movements.
I'm using a single camera, Sony a7, 35mm f2.8 lens (at f 22), macro extension tube, & Yongnuo ring flash.

gjpetch

• View Profile
Re: Sacrificing colour, for a better scan
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 12:30:02 PM »
Couple more images:

MeHoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 05:55:27 PM »
AWESOME detail!!

Color is easy to add later.  :)  You have yourself an amazing cavity and curvature map maker right there.  The rest is cake.  :)

ekbmuts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:23:29 AM »
Sweet! 

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is "blotchy facepaint"?  Or is that just paint that has texture of different colours in it that comes off skin easily when you're done?

Jon

gjpetch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 03:36:03 AM »
ekbmuts, Yes, I just meant temporary, skins safe face/body paint. I used multiple colours, to make high contrast random patterns.

ekbmuts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 05:31:35 AM »
Great.  I suppose that one could go into the textures in Photoshop after the fact and replace all the colourful stuff with a skin texture.

I must admit, I have had plenty of problems with skin, meaning,shooting it and having it come out right.  But this seems like an easy solution.

Keep posting!

Thanks!

Jon

Shade3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 12:42:25 PM »
Goodness how did you make a hand with single camera?  :o :o :o
How did you do it. Tips? Doesnt hand move little bit?

gjpetch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 01:44:52 AM »
Staying perfectly still is basically impossible, yeah. Resting against a surface helps. And I tried to approach the photos in sections at a time, taken quickly. A quick arc of five or so photos for a palm for instance, then the same for each finger, and a bit of masking in Photoscan. My thinking was that if a finger moves slightly, the discrepancy will matter less if the palm & other fingers are masked out, or out of frame. I still ended up with some artifacts from movement, but overall it worked.

Kiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 12:51:47 PM »
@gjpetch

Very nice results and interesting scanning technique to overcome object movements!

Another possibility would be pattern projection with the advantage that you get real textures. Did you know for example Pi3DScan, it works with pattern projection to improve the scan quality of low quality cameras and low textured objects?See:http://www.pi3dscan.com/index.php/instructions

Karsten