Forum

Author Topic: Hand Scanning - Texture exchange afterwards  (Read 4811 times)

Interzoo

• View Profile
Hand Scanning - Texture exchange afterwards
« on: September 18, 2016, 11:21:43 PM »
Hi All!

First, nice to have the forum here!

I scanned my hand by doing a model made of gypsum via alginate forming.

Now I have a good 3D model in photoscan and want to change the texture to the one from my real hand.
I have varios photos of my hand but adding these photos and deactivating the gypsum ones results in a black hand.

Can you help me? What are the requirements when I want to exchange the texture?
Do I have to align the new photos or masking them? Perhaps in another tool like meshlab the texture exchange would be easier?

I would appreciate if someone could give me a hint or a how to instruction/workflow or a tutorial link for my issue.

I own the Standard Edition...

Thanks in advance!

Best
Florian

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Hand Scanning - Texture exchange afterwards
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:24:44 PM »
Hello Florian,

Are the shapes of the hand and it's gypsum duplicate on the photos identical for both subsets?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Interzoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 07:46:13 PM »
The shapes are nearly identical but not exactly. I know that the result won't be accurate. I could reshoot fotos of my hand but I don't know if I can solve that issue that way.

I also thought about shooting photos of every single finger, the palm and the back of the hand and place them onto the 3D model but I don't know how and which software to use...

badger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 11:56:09 PM »
if I understand correctly, you should use an external 3d program to manually define UVs on your model and map the hand images onto these. If you want Photoscan to do the work for you, you need to reconstruct the model using photos from your original  :) hand.

You may try the following trick: take as many photos of your hand as you have poses from the gypsum model you used, and as close as possible in size and orientation. Give these photos the same filenames of the ones of the gypsum hand, then open a new chunk, import there the new photos, import the camera alignments from the reconstructed gypsum hand (you should save it first after the reconstruction), import the mesh from the gypsum hand.

At this point your new chunk has the reconstructed mesh, the reconstructed camera alignment and the new photos and you can create the texture.

It will most likely come out horrible and useless, unless you are *very* accurate in photographing your hand *exactly* like the fake one was photographed.