Forum

Author Topic: New to Photoscan-Some questions..  (Read 15317 times)

mala

• View Profile
New to Photoscan-Some questions..
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »
HI, i've been using Photoscan for a few days and i'm amazed at what this software can do..really really amazed! Great work Dmitry on creating this tool.

I'm mostly interested in using Photoscan to build models of human heads,so have been taking about 50-100 photos of the subject with a Canon 450D(image size-2848x4272)

Aligning the photos has been going well,but i'm having some problems when it comes to build the geometry.If i attempt to build the geometry on High+Smooth or Exact settings with 50+ photos then Photoscan will freeze up after a very long time(e.g 7 hours) or crash...
I'm working on a 3.2 8Core MacPro with 10GB Ram and 8800GT card...is the problem my setup do you think?

Also some workflow questions:

I have read in the manual that the build or rather, what is built can be controlled by using the Volume select or masks applied to the photos...using the Volume select does not seem very accurate to me and masking the photos whilst it can be done is a lot of work if you have over 50 photos....

It would be great if it was possible to select and delete unwanted points that are created in the pointcloud when you align the pics...i can't find a way to do this in photoscan, is it possible?
I don't know how the points in the pointcloud relate to the final Geometry so not sure if that would make any sense...
.....as its possible to export the pointcloud, could you delete these extra points in another software and then re-import back to Photoscan?

I see that the built Geometry can be edited in another software to remove polygons or fill holes and UVmapping then sent back to Photoscan to build the texture....How much editing can be done to the mesh? Can i totally retopologize the mesh then send it back to build the texture? or does some kind of point order of the .obj need to be maintained?

What tips would you recommend for lighting for photos and Geometry build settings to achieve fine sharp detail in the geometry?...i'm trying get as much skin detail as possible transferred from photo to mesh.

Sorry for the long post and maybe some silly questions,but i'm loving this software just after a few days and really want to push it as far as possible.

Thanks

hmcguirk

• View Profile
Re: New to Photoscan-Some questions..
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 05:40:22 PM »
Just regarding the freeze & crash, the only time I noticed something similar was when I hadn't enough memory, and it started paging out to disk virtual memory. Are you using the 32bit version of the application?

mala

• View Profile
Re: Re: New to Photoscan-Some questions..
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »
I'm using the latest mac version 0.8.0 Beta 64 bit,least i'm pretty sure i am....didn't realise there was a 32 bit version for mac.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Re: Re: New to Photoscan-Some questions..
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:49:52 PM »
Just try use 10 photographs, you will see that is enought !!!!!
im working with buildings an use around 10 Photos for 20x10m building
and as i thing and what i have seen to this time for face is 3 enought... let us all know then what you getting out....
----------------
www.mhb.sk

FoodMan

• View Profile
Re: New to Photoscan-Some questions..
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:57:36 AM »
I would definitly reduce the number of images...

h/