Forum

Author Topic: Actual Difference On Mesh "Normal" VS fixed Lens (Nikon)?  (Read 2850 times)

JohnyJoe

• View Profile
Actual Difference On Mesh "Normal" VS fixed Lens (Nikon)?
« on: October 16, 2016, 09:40:21 PM »
Does anybody done (and i believe someone had to) and has info and even better pictures of actual real differences on generated mesh/model when using "standard", "default" "adjustable" lenses that come standardly with your DSLR camera (18-55mm lens that came with my Nikon D3200 for example) in comparison with FIXED lenses?

I know there is difference when looking on the pictures themselves but i have never actually seen any real test/comparison of meshes of the same model that was captured once with the default lens (18-55mm, at 35mm for example) and once with fixed (35mm lens)?

Is there any actual difference on the mesh? Is it big? Did somebody did this test or have some pictures?

ekbmuts

• View Profile
Re: Actual Difference On Mesh "Normal" VS fixed Lens (Nikon)?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 01:37:11 AM »
JohnyJoe, I don't have pictures but I have done both, meaning, shot with prime lens and zoom lenses.

Frankly, any difference is not discernible to me.  And unless you're trying to make a model that's going to be tested under a microscope or is going to sit in front of a camera while an audience picks it to pieces, I don't think it matters.

I have made perfectly acceptable models with kit lenses.  And I am talking about models that will go into a film and be projected on a big screen.

Jon

JohnyJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 05:54:14 PM »
Hello

Thank for your reply :)!

Can i ask that camera and what default lens did you use? (i for example used nikon d3200 with default lens 18-55mm VRII)

Also, on what "level of quality" of dense cloud generation did you do these test? Was it medium or high or even ultra high quality (that quite important i think)?

Thank you :-)!

ekbmuts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:46:34 PM »
JohnyJoe,  Actually I've used a variety.  I have used a Canon 50D with a Tokina 12-24mm lens and the same camera with a Canon 50-200mm lens.

I have also shot with a Nikon D70 and a 50mm full-frame prime lens.

Generally speaking, I never go near Ultra High.  In that mode, I believe Photoscan is processing the images at full size and frankly, for me it takes too long.  I always stick with High.  Furthermore, I often start my basic alignment at Low and then work up to Medium and then finally to High.  Sometimes, this seems to improve my results.

Dense cloud I always select High right from the get-go.  I don't work that one up through the levels. I make very sure that my crop boundaries are adjusted to just fit the object so that no unnecessary processing is occurring.

I have also found that the use of "Gradual Selection" under the "Edit" tab is effective in zeroing in on what should be processed and what should be discarded.  You can find an excellent writeup on that at this site:

https://dinosaurpalaeo.wordpress.com/?s=photogrammetry+tutorial+11

Hope this is helpful.

Jon