Forum

Author Topic: Zbrush reset move/offset  (Read 15394 times)

igor73

• View Profile
Zbrush reset move/offset
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
Hi,

I need to move a scanned object to the floor in order to do a mirror and weld operation (symmetry must work) .  Anyone know of a way to reset the subtool to its orginal position after the move?  The only way i can come up with is to use Deformation and write down the Offset and rotation changes i have done and then reverse them when done with mirror and weld.  This is tedious though.  Have searched internet for answers but came up with none.  I must have missed something obvius?  Reason i want to reset the subtool to original position is to br able to texture in photoscan after modifications. 

chrisd

• View Profile
Re: Zbrush reset move/offset
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »
I have suggested to Pixologic (as I'm sure many others have) that they work on making ZBrush work as as typical 3d apps do, so there's a real units system to allow working in absolute or relative coordinates, and easily switch between them. One can only hope, maybe in Zbrush 5 ...?

igor73

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 12:19:31 AM »
I sure hope so.  I guess you have not found a good way of reseting to original position either? 
Waiting in anticipation for 4R7 64 bit Beta version so i can import very high poly models. 

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »
I am doing similar using Modo and Zbrush. My workflow is to import obj in Modo. Aligning it in scene as item, this way vertices and polygons arent moved but handle of "item". Export in ZB for fixing, painting.... After that i reimport mesh from ZB in Modo instead of original and export in Photoscan for additional projection if needed. In Modo i have simple script that "invert" transformations when exporting in Photoscan.

chrisd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
In Modo i have simple script that "invert" transformations when exporting in Photoscan.

That is a good point. Someone may have already scripted something in ZBrush to do the same, essentially giving it a transformation matrix. I have never searched ZBrush Central for this, but its certainly worth a look.

chrisd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »
I guess you have not found a good way of reseting to original position either?

No, but I really have not looked. Admir's post jogged my thinking, and there's probably a good chance someone already has a script for this if ZScript gives access to transformations. Obviously it doesn't solve the units issue, but it might allow move/rotate something a specific amount, and then reverse it.

igor73

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 04:29:12 PM »
Ok, thanks for the script tip.  Will try to find one. 

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 05:08:54 AM »
Hi, I think I have a possible solution if I understand correctly what you need to do.
What you have to do is: Load the original file that doesnt have the transforms you need to do for the welding, etc.  Go to the right side of Zbrush where the modifiers are and go all the way down to the export subtab. Copy somewhere the transforms that you see for all 3 axis. After that, you can open the files that you already worked on and that you applied the transforms you needed and go to the same "export" subtab and paste the transforms you copied before (this file should have different transforms). After copying the transforms, export the file and then if you import it, it should have the original position it had before you did anything to it.
It works for me most of the time.
I hope this helps you...
Leo

igor73

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
Thanks Lambo!  Will try that. 

pixelab

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 03:46:12 AM »
It works great ! Many thanks  :D

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 08:01:05 AM »
NICE! Glad to hear that!

pixelab

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 02:08:21 AM »
Actually, I spoke a bit fast... In pghotoscan it worked (model at the correct position) but impossible to create a texture using UVs... very strange.

I read that in meshlab you can realign the geometry to the point cloud, but I've never used this soft before. Will post any findings here.

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 04:24:34 AM »
Did you remember to use Keep UVs in the options for creating the new texture?