Forum

Author Topic: Not Enough Memory  (Read 5483 times)

JasonR

• View Profile
Not Enough Memory
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:01:41 PM »
I keep getting a "not enough memory" error while processing a small number of large format images. I have 18 .tif images that are ~130MB each (14144x15552) and I hit the error when trying to generate a High quality dense point cloud. The processing log doesn't seem to indicate any additional information, but I've attached it. I took a screenshot of the Task Manager's Performance window and it shows the point cloud generation is failing at less than 50% of the available memory. (The "not enough memory" error occurred during the last bump on the right.)

Is PS calculating how much memory is needed and then predicting that I don't have enough memory, or is there something that needs to be changed?

System: Intel E5-1660, 1080 GTX 8GB, 64GB RAM, SSD, PhotoScan Pro 64-bit 1.2.6 build 2834

Thanks for any help!

Arahne

• View Profile
Re: Not Enough Memory
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »
Have you tried to convert them to jpeg? There might be a limit for amount of pixels but I am not sure. Experiment with these settings, file size (convert to jpeg) amount of pixels (resize them - lower amount of pixels)....

WaltDixie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
The issue will hopefully disappear if you go for medium quality or smaller size images (JPG or simply using smaller pixel regions or...).
AFAIK, Photoscan will load a higher sampled version of each image during the DPCL process, and this is the main reason that causes the memory issue. The factor x of higher sampling is determined by this medium/high/ultrahigh setting.

Perhaps check if your system settings are in line with your hardware.

Another workaround is to divide your target in chunks and then merge/combine them afterwards.
 Or start learning python scripting.

I'm still learning this. I was just planning to start another thread, where I try to list all the possible options to solve this issue.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 01:37:35 PM »
Hello JasonR,

Could you please describe your project, what type of the project is that (aerial or close range)?

Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

JasonR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »
Have you tried to convert them to jpeg? There might be a limit for amount of pixels but I am not sure. Experiment with these settings, file size (convert to jpeg) amount of pixels (resize them - lower amount of pixels)....

I haven't yet, but I have a few similar sets that I've already converted to JPEG. The conversion reduced the file size from ~130MB to ~30MB. I was hoping to use the TIFFs because there was some concern about the degradation in quality, but I haven't been able to see the difference when comparing the 2 side by side. I don't know enough about image compression and formatting to know how jpeg and tiff formats compare for photogrammetry purposes.

JasonR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 06:44:21 PM »
Hello JasonR,

Could you please describe your project, what type of the project is that (aerial or close range)?

These are aerial images taken from a large format (240MP, Leica DMC IIe 230), taken from a fixed wing aircraft. There are individual sensors for the RGB bands and panchromatic, etc. The raw data is processed to produce the TIFF images. Overlap is typically 80%-90%, but we often only have one flight line. Our ground sampling distance is typically 5-10cm.

Please let me know what additional information you'd like to see.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
Hello JasonR,

Can you send the project in PSZ format with just alignment results and image thumbnails to support@agisoft.com, we'll try to check the memory consumption using the upscaled thumbnails to the original size.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC