Forum

Author Topic: Cross-section based dense cloud editing / classification  (Read 4672 times)

bortoman

• View Profile
Cross-section based dense cloud editing / classification
« on: February 05, 2017, 01:13:30 PM »
While being an amazing Software for photogrammetry, the biggest challenge in PhotoScan is cleaning up a dense cloud and classify it to get a proper DTM.
While the automatic classification algorithm is doing a good job, there is always some (often a lot) manual work to do.

I had the chance to work with Global Mapper for a while, and one feature that was very helpful was the ability to view a cross-section of a point cloud and the ability to select points from there to be modified and classified. You can see how it works here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8VM2vkw43g&feature=youtu.be&t=3420

Long story short: you define a cross section path and a range (example +-0.5m) and all the points lying in this slice are viewed in a cross-section window. From there you can select points and edit them.

In the attached screenshot i generated a length-profile with a cross-section every 1m...

JMR

• View Profile
Re: Cross-section based dense cloud editing / classification
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 05:29:59 AM »
+1

Thibaud Capra

• Master Student in Geodetic Engineering & Surveying
    • View Profile
    • INSA de Strasbourg, Topography Engineering (French)
Re: Cross-section based dense cloud editing / classification
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
Being able to train an algorithm using a few cross sections to further improve an upcoming ground extraction would be awesome too (I know I'm asking for a lot!)

+1 though.
Best regards.
--
Thibaud CAPRA
Master Student in Geodetic Engineering, Cartography & Surveying
Master Thesis in Automated Processing of UAV-based Photogrammetric Data (ResearchGate Link)
INSA de Strasbourg, FRANCE
--