Forum

Author Topic: Using KML files as bouding boxes  (Read 1665 times)

Thibaud Capra

• Master Student in Geodetic Engineering & Surveying
    • View Profile
    • INSA de Strasbourg, Topography Engineering (French)
Using KML files as bouding boxes
« on: February 09, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
Hello everyone,
I am currently working on a project for my internship where I've been given multiple tasks to do.
My main goal is to produce various files (OBJ, orthomosaics mostly) from UAV images in the most automated way possible. I'm currently using Python to do it, but we'll leave it for now, my concern being focused on another issue :

How can I use KML files to create areas of interest for PhotoScan to densify in?

Let me explain a bit more: I work with a large number of photos acquired with an UAV (~1400 photos) and I have to cover large areas (golfs). One of my goals is to have two different outputs with 2 different levels of detail (LoD) : the first one should be light, with a global model of the whole golf course, the second one should be very detailed, clean and accurately filtered, for the greens' details. The main idea behind this two LoD is to optimize the computing time as I don't need a very accurate definition of the whole golf, but something very accurate on every green.

In order not to build a very dense point cloud (DPC) of the whole golf, I'd like to create two different clouds, one for the whole golf where I'd build a DPC with medium/low quality and another one for each green where I'd build the DPC in high/ultra high quality then filter it.

I have at my disposal KML files delimiting every single green area in my georeferenced cloud.
I would like to use them to isolate my greens in the sparse cloud and create new files containing the greens only to build DPC with a different LoD.

Remember that the main goal here is to maximize the automation of the process.

TL;DR: How can I use my KML files to export parts of my sparse point cloud in different projects to create two different clouds with two different LoD?

Thanks at lot, any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Just had a talk with some coworkers, would it be easier to fit the bounding box to each KML's bounding box and export it one by one?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:07:36 PM by Thibaud CAPRA »
Best regards.
--
Thibaud CAPRA
Master Student in Geodetic Engineering, Cartography & Surveying
Master Thesis in Automated Processing of UAV-based Photogrammetric Data (ResearchGate Link)
INSA de Strasbourg, FRANCE
--