Forum

Author Topic: Building texture from as few cameras as possible?  (Read 3206 times)

maddin

• View Profile
Building texture from as few cameras as possible?
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:03:43 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas how to build a texture from as few cameras as possible?

The motivation is this: the more (slightly misaligned) cameras are used to build the texture, the more blur and other blending artifacts there will be in the final texture. So my idea is to use only a few key cameras for building the texture. These cameras should cover as much model areas as possible while keeping the camera count to a minimum.

Any ideas how to get there, short of manually selecting cameras and enabling them one by one?

Thank you!

maddin

• View Profile
Re: Building texture from as few cameras as possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »
*bump*

any ideas?

chrisd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 03:06:53 AM »
This is from the Photoscan Standard Manual:

"Texture mapping modes
  Single photo
   The Single photo mapping mode allows to generate texture from a single photo. The photo to be
   used for texturing can be selected from 'Texture from' list."

Looks like the choice is one picture or all pictures in the Standard version, maybe Pro has other choices.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:09:14 AM by chrisd »

maddin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 12:55:10 PM »
This is from the Photoscan Standard Manual:

"Texture mapping modes
  Single photo
   The Single photo mapping mode allows to generate texture from a single photo. The photo to be
   used for texturing can be selected from 'Texture from' list."

Looks like the choice is one picture or all pictures in the Standard version, maybe Pro has other choices.

I am not aware of any additional choices on texture mapping in the Pro version.

The 'Single Photo' mode is a first step towards what I imagine, but not the full solution. In principle, you could start with any random camera, do a single photo projection and store the result. Then pick a second camera, project again in single photo mode (while keeping the UVs) and compare the two results you have. If there is a sufficient number of 'new' pixels in the second result, consider the second camera a real contribution, merge the two texture maps and continue. If not, discard the second result and try the next camera.

Not sure this will really lead to an improvement. The basic idea is not to blend too many photos that produce slightly different pixels at the same UV location, in order to get a visually pleasing result.

chrisd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 07:03:42 PM »
There is probably no easy solution, and its somewhat of a trade off ... use too few pictures and possibly end up with seams/discontinuities or use more pictures and tolerate the blurring.

I don't know how much picture resolution contributes to the blurring issue. I mean, if the pics are producing acceptable geometry, but the texture is not acceptable, is there a benefit to shooting at a higher resolution for the texture and using a lower resolution or down sampling for the geometry?

I'm still learning this stuff.