Forum

Author Topic: why photoscan can't import video ?!  (Read 14165 times)

saeed2vfx

• View Profile
    • Saeed Shahriyari
why photoscan can't import video ?!
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:46:20 PM »
Hi, I using photoscan and other scanner software...
all softwares can import image and aling and prosses..., why can't import video ?!
I take video and convert to image sequnce and import to photoscan, and that work correct!

why photoscan can't import video ?!

( sorry for my bad english )
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:51:31 PM by saeed2vfx »

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: why photoscan can't import video ?!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
Because it cannot handle VIDEO format. is better with stills.....
----------------
www.mhb.sk

lostboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 02:32:44 AM »
Hello, its possible to implement a posibility for import video and decide the fotograms to use in photoscan? to me is a good improvement

Thanks

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 03:39:09 AM »
Its better to get the images in externall app out and then process in Pscan..... its better and can be used already with what is already at hand.

Dont forget, pscan primary use was a GIS application where videos never used for work for obvious reasons. Its it woderfull magic that it can be operated without any extra equipment and knowlege.... 
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Oli63

• www.geospy.at
    • View Profile
    • GeoSpy Aerial Imaging & Mapping GmbH
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:42:37 AM »
What obvious reasons? Do you mean the missing position data, the reduced resolution...? If so, I don't think that this is necessarily prohibitive. At least the advantage might be a very dense overlap which is why I am going to try out video. What are your experiences with it?
GeoSpy Aerial Imaging & Mapping GmbH
www.geospy.at

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:12:59 AM »
Hello Oli63,
Yes, the obvious as resolution, codec limitations and few others that can be eventually solved.....   

But have tested recently something from relatively good video source with not bad results... will put it together tomorrow. here is a PDF from it, but texture is just 2k for now....  PM me with email so can send source images..... https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15047343/hrad%20video%20test.pdf

----------------
www.mhb.sk

mankoff

• View Profile
    • Home Page
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 04:06:58 AM »
If you have video, it is very easy with 1 command and FFMPEG to produce a folder full of PNGs from the video, and then you can use these PNGs in PhotoScan.

RalfH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »
As I said in a different thread (http://www.agisoft.ru/forum/index.php?topic=930.msg4485#msg4485), there are some serious problems with images grabbed from most low-cost video cameras. Even if PhotoScan is able to reconstruct a model which looks o.k., I suspect that the geometric quality will be poor in most cases.

By the way, why do you want to use video? If you just want to automatically take unlimited series of photos at short intervals, use a Canon point-and-shoot camera and CHDK (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK) which allows you to run interval scripts on the camera - that's what many people use for UAV, kite and pole photography. It's a simple, low-cost, reliable solution.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:40:48 AM by RalfH »