Forum

Author Topic: PLY export with texture gives huge and invalid mesh  (Read 3385 times)

Heinrich

• View Profile
PLY export with texture gives huge and invalid mesh
« on: March 08, 2017, 11:58:31 PM »
When I export the same mesh (ca. 1.2 million polygons) as a PLY, once with texture and once without (both with vertex color exported), the with-texture mesh is 54.8 MB and will not load in Rhinoceros ("faile to read binaries properly") and GOMinspect ("a surface with 53 corners was found"). The mesh exported without the texture is only 24.7 MB and loads without issues. 

This is new with version 1.3.0 3772 64bit

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: PLY export with texture gives huge and invalid mesh
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:09:36 AM »
Hello Heinrich,

Can it be reproduced with any mesh polygons count and texture size options? For example, if you decimate the model to 100,000 polygons and build a single page texture atlas with 1024 pixel size?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Heinrich

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 06:14:03 PM »
Alexey,

any change I make to the mesh and all is fine.
It happens consistently across a set of models a colleague created - I was helping him handle the scaling as he only has a standard edition.

sorry, it is not possible to share this data right now.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 06:38:39 PM »
Hello Heinrich,

Then maybe you can try both binary and plain text data export for PLY and se, if the same issue is reproduced or not?

Also, if possible, please provide the exact error messages you have on import. And also specify the texture generation parameters.

Additionally I can suggest to open Mesh Statistics dialog and check if there are any topology issues.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC