Forum

Author Topic: Setting coordinate system via markers  (Read 1427 times)

josephlewis

• View Profile
Setting coordinate system via markers
« on: April 02, 2017, 07:06:57 PM »
Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to set the coordinate system of a model from makers.

I've created a model of an object using Structure from Motion, and I'd like to georeference it, so I can put it on a map for context.

However, the cameras did not record the locations. so the coordinate system is local, and is not within a global coordinate system.

Therefore, what I want to do is use markers to georeference the whole model into a global coordinate system.

Is this possible? and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks!

Thibaud Capra

• Master Student in Geodetic Engineering & Surveying
    • View Profile
    • INSA de Strasbourg, Topography Engineering (French)
Re: Setting coordinate system via markers
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »
Yes you can georeference your model using GCPs. Basically, if you have the coordinates of a few points in your model (3 is the very minimum but I'd recommend having more) you can create a transformation matrix to move it to a georeferenced system.
Best regards.
--
Thibaud CAPRA
Master Student in Geodetic Engineering, Cartography & Surveying
Master Thesis in Automated Processing of UAV-based Photogrammetric Data (ResearchGate Link)
INSA de Strasbourg, FRANCE
--

josephlewis

• View Profile
Re: Setting coordinate system via markers
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 07:01:06 PM »
Thanks for replying.

I've set up 4 marker coordinates that I know the location of. Where can I create the transformation matrix to move it to a georeferenced system? Will this then create the x/y coordinates for each point, so I can then import it into different software? (ArcGIS, specifically).