Forum

Author Topic: Rendering Point Cloud  (Read 10267 times)

tai_pinc

• View Profile
Rendering Point Cloud
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:14:49 PM »
Hello

I just bought myself a license of PhotoScan Standard and started playing around and exporting point cloud to various software.

I am looking for a way of creating a big-size rendering image of just the point cloud.
What would be the best software for the job? I tried Rhino and Cinema 4D, but it's not working or rather I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

Tai

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Rendering Point Cloud
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:18:44 PM »
With the rendering of point clouds is it problematic, is better to use standard MESH, that can be textured, edited and etc.... What purpose of using PointCloud you have ???
----------------
www.mhb.sk

tai_pinc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »
Hi Wishgranter...

I simply wish to export the point cloud for an image file. No professional purpose. Just something that I could print perhaps. Screen capture would be no good because I want to control the size and make it big.

As for creating MESH, it doesn't work very well for me. I've noticed PhotoScan is building a closed Geometry, is not suited for my captures. And anyway , I just need the Points. I'm not trying to achieve something very realistic here.

Thanks

Tai

David Cockey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 11:09:04 PM »
Method I've used to obtain the vertex points from a mesh created by PhotoScan.
1) Export the mesh from PhotoScan as a .obj file.
2) Import the .obj file into Rhino.
3) Extract the vertices of the mesh as points us the Rhino command ExtractPt. This can take a while.
4) Export the vertices in the desired format if they are to be used in other software.
I've used this method for meshes with several million vertices.

tai_pinc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:48:10 PM »
Method I've used to obtain the vertex points from a mesh created by PhotoScan.
1) Export the mesh from PhotoScan as a .obj file.
2) Import the .obj file into Rhino.
3) Extract the vertices of the mesh as points us the Rhino command ExtractPt. This can take a while.
4) Export the vertices in the desired format if they are to be used in other software.
I've used this method for meshes with several million vertices.

Hi David

I can get the vertices from simply exporting the Point Cloud and opening in Rhino (image attached).
But how can I render them into a JPG or TIFF? Controlling background and Point size would be great too.

Or maybe I totally misunderstood  what you were saying?

Tai

tai_pinc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:19:08 AM »
Ok so I found a solution, but it's not the best.
Using Meshlab I was able to create a Capture, with the ability to "multiply" the screen size
Here's the result:

Still, if anyone knows a software that can show vertices,  I would appreciate your reply (going to check LightWave soon enough).

Tai
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:30:15 PM by tai_pinc »