Forum

Author Topic: HELP: Error Reading Project  (Read 4007 times)

BobvdMeij

• View Profile
HELP: Error Reading Project
« on: May 02, 2017, 01:56:22 PM »
EDIT: The problem has been solved. See two posts below for instructions.
Dear All,

This morning I completed a large project using the Professional Version after processing for several days. Upon closing the project and then reopening the file just minutes ago I received the frightening error message stating:

'Error reading project'

Regardless of what I try, the file seemingly remains corrupt and fails to open. Is there any way to retrieve the project and extract the much needed data afterall? As deadlines are approaching rerunning the entire project from scratch is hardly feasible.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 01:53:25 PM by BobvdMeij »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: HELP: Error Reading Project
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
Hello BobvdMeij,

You can check the similar thread to see, if the possible reasons discussed there fit your case:
http://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5293

Can you post the Console pane output here?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

BobvdMeij

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 11:58:54 AM »
Hello BobvdMeij,

You can check the similar thread to see, if the possible reasons discussed there fit your case:
http://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5293

Can you post the Console pane output here?

Dear Alexey,

Fortunately I was able to resolve the issue myself, the project is now up and running again! For what it's worth I will post my workaround below, in case someone runs into the same problem at some point:

1. Check the error message in the Console pane after (unsuccesfully) opening the project.

The message read an error in chunk 7, the folder 'Shapes' to be more precise. This makes some sense as I generated substantial amounts of contour lines before, when the project was still working. Shortly after I saved the project, but after this taking over an hour with saving progress still at 0% I cancelled the saving procedure. When I saved the project again the Save screen would only appear for a split second and then dissappear, it was at this point that I already feared something might be wrong.

2. Copy the frame.zip folder from the main Chunk 7 folder to my desktop.
3. Unzip the copied frame.zip folder.
4. Open Notepad and import the doc.xml file that is stored in the (now unzipped) frame.zip folder.
5. Move to the bottom of the xml file and remove the code (and only that!) referencing to the Shapes folder.
6. Save the adjusted xml file again as doc.xml in a seperate location.
7. Zip the newly created doc.xml file and rename the zipped folder to frame.zip
8. Remove the original frame.zip folder from the main Chunk 7 folder and copy+paste the newly created and now zipped frame.zip folder in this location.
9. Open Agisoft Photoscan with succes! Obviously, the previously created shapes have now dissappeared but those I can easily create again, most important of all is that I have all the other files back again.

TIP: Copy the entire project (.psx file AND the .files folder) to a seperate location as a back-up, in case something goes wrong (i.e. make a mistake in removing the piece of code) and you want to start over again.

KellyNess

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:45:07 AM »
I am having this problem as well.  Contours seem to be causing problems when treated as "shapes".  They don't seem to save in a reasonable amount of time.  After force closing the project, I am getting the dreaded "Error Reading Project" error.

Trying to resolve now.

BobvdMeij

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 08:24:13 AM »
Kelly,

You are correct, I had the same issue.

If you follow the steps I wrote down above here, you should be perfectly fine. You will lose your shapes though, but I reckon it's better than losing the project all together ;).

toffersan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »
I had the same problems because of shapes! puh, but it helped !thanks for that workflow!!

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 06:37:25 PM »
If anyone can provide the information on the steps that should be followed to reproduce the issue with the reading shapes, it would be very helpful. So far we were not able to reproduce the problem on our side.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC