Forum

Author Topic: "Not enough memory"  (Read 28164 times)

Shovelhead

• View Profile
"Not enough memory"
« on: April 28, 2017, 07:33:50 PM »
Im trying to create a model from some aerial images I got with a phantom 4 pro (20 MP camera)
My first chunk processed fine, 150 images and the dense cloud had about 110 million points
My second chunk was a set of about 110 oblique images that turned out to be 180 million points. When I go to make my mesh it runs for a few minutes then stops and gives me an error "not enough memory". I'm using all default settings and set to high quality.
I just bought a workstation specifically for agisoft. 64gb Of ram, 1070 gtx video card and a kaby lake i7 processor.

Shovelhead

• View Profile
Re: "Not enough memory"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 11:59:30 PM »
Any ideas? I separated into different chunks but was unhappy with the results.

Jeremiah_ROWE

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 12:18:22 AM »
For making the mesh, are you choosing arbitrary or height field option?

Shovelhead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:38:50 AM »
Arbitrary

Packy_GIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 08:37:49 AM »
Arbitrary mesh is used for modelling i.e. statues, houses ... object based 3D models. The arbitrary mesh can assign several Z coordinates to one X, Y coordinate (which is impossible for GIS based DEM).

If you are working with aerial imagery and you are aming to create a orthphoto - then use the other option - the "height field". It will compute the mesh like charm.

The arbitrary mesh requires quite a lot of RAM ... see the PS system requirements.

Jan

Jeremiah_ROWE

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 04:17:23 PM »
That was my guess. For over 100 images at 20MP you'd probably want at LEAST 96GB, but depending on the complexity of the scene 128 up to 256GB of RAM might be needed.

Most aerial mapping data is developed using the Height Field option, and uses substantially less RAM.

Shovelhead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 05:01:07 PM »
Ok, I really appreciate the responses. Looks like I will need to upgrade my ram then. Just wanted to be sure that was the issue as I thought 64 would be enough.

Packy_GIS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 09:19:21 PM »
And ... is it really neccessary to create the Arbitrary mesh??

Jeremiah_ROWE

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 09:46:33 PM »
Yes, please consider Packy_GIS's concern too... see below  image attachment for the RAM requirements as also found on Agisoft website (http://www.agisoft.com/pdf/tips_and_tricks/PhotoScan_Memory_Requirements.pdf)

Keep in mind, these stats are based upon 12MP images. Your 20MP images are 66%+ larger, so increase memory consumption ranges by at least the same factor.

Shovelhead

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 02:38:50 AM »

I will try the height field option once my point cloud is finished generating in 18 hours. My concern was how it would handle trees and buildings and the vast majority of my surveying with not be bare land. I am attempting to make topographic site plans of lots that will have buildings, trees, utilities, ECT.
Any other suggestions are more then welcome. I appreciate all the input I have received.

karad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »
I had a project with 232 photos  20 mb each , settings arbitrary - high quality using a pc i7 5930k 64 gb ram -1070 8 gb and finished in about one hour. IN YOUR CASE I THINK THE PROBLEM ARISES probably due to the leafs of the trees. THEY GENERATE TOO MANY POINTS that can not be correlated and the matrices produced are huge and require much memory. Mask the areas with trees and see what happens.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 11:39:45 AM »
Hello Shovelhead,

You can consider using Split-in-chunks script to generate the mesh models in the smaller bounding box based on the same dense cloud and then merge them back to the single chunk:
http://wiki.agisoft.com/wiki/Split_in_chunks.py

Note that the script sample is generating mesh in Height Field option, so you need to modify the corresponding arguments to PhotoScan.SurfaceType.Arbitrary in the script body before using it.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Packy_GIS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »

I will try the height field option once my point cloud is finished generating in 18 hours. My concern was how it would handle trees and buildings and the vast majority of my surveying with not be bare land. I am attempting to make topographic site plans of lots that will have buildings, trees, utilities, ECT.
Any other suggestions are more then welcome. I appreciate all the input I have received.

If you do topographic site plans, than you will use orthophoto - and you won't notice any difference in-between arbitrary/hight field mesh.
You will note the difference only if you create 3D models (3D visualization ie for SketchFab) - then the tress and buildings will look not nice.
But to create a nice 3D model of houses and tress - you will need combination of nadir and oblique images ...

Jan

Shovelhead

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »
I had a project with 232 photos  20 mb each , settings arbitrary - high quality using a pc i7 5930k 64 gb ram -1070 8 gb and finished in about one hour. IN YOUR CASE I THINK THE PROBLEM ARISES probably due to the leafs of the trees. THEY GENERATE TOO MANY POINTS that can not be correlated and the matrices produced are huge and require much memory. Mask the areas with trees and see what happens.

I will try that out, thanks for the tip.

Shovelhead

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »

If you do topographic site plans, than you will use orthophoto - and you won't notice any difference in-between arbitrary/hight field mesh.
You will note the difference only if you create 3D models (3D visualization ie for SketchFab) - then the tress and buildings will look not nice.
But to create a nice 3D model of houses and tress - you will need combination of nadir and oblique images ...

Jan

Yea I'm using a combination of pictures, the point cloud looks good atleast. I'll play around with it and report back here with what I come up with