Forum

Author Topic: Getting started....please help a newbie  (Read 1623 times)

Scowie Snaps

• View Profile
Getting started....please help a newbie
« on: May 15, 2017, 06:16:11 PM »
I have been using DroneDeploy with my Phantom 4 drone for 3d imagery of terrain and buildings. This has been quite a positive experience.........so decided to buy Photoscan and use my own PC for rendering. I have i7 processor and 64GB RAM so I thought this would be reasonable fast.

My first project was on a golf course, around the clubhouse and area.....with around 200 photos from the drone which processed beautifully with DroneDeploy.

I must admit that I just jumped in with Photoscan, imported the images, aligned them...did the sparse cloud, the dense cloud and the mesh and texture....just followed through the Workflow process and put everything on the high quality settings.  Not only did the process take over 24 hours !!!!! but the result was relatively poor, compared to Dronedeploy.

I know I probably did something wrong, but can anyone offer me some advice or point me in the direction of an easy-to-follow guide or Youtube tutorial which would help. Very keen to learn.

Phil

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Getting started....please help a newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 06:20:51 PM »
Hello Phil,

Please provide the list of the processing parameters used for every processing stage and some screenshots demonstrating the results.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

BobvdMeij

• View Profile
Re: Getting started....please help a newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »
I have been using DroneDeploy with my Phantom 4 drone for 3d imagery of terrain and buildings. This has been quite a positive experience.........so decided to buy Photoscan and use my own PC for rendering. I have i7 processor and 64GB RAM so I thought this would be reasonable fast.

My first project was on a golf course, around the clubhouse and area.....with around 200 photos from the drone which processed beautifully with DroneDeploy.

I must admit that I just jumped in with Photoscan, imported the images, aligned them...did the sparse cloud, the dense cloud and the mesh and texture....just followed through the Workflow process and put everything on the high quality settings.  Not only did the process take over 24 hours !!!!! but the result was relatively poor, compared to Dronedeploy.

I know I probably did something wrong, but can anyone offer me some advice or point me in the direction of an easy-to-follow guide or Youtube tutorial which would help. Very keen to learn.

Phil

In addition to Alexey's comment, please be aware that your standalone system is in no way comparable to DroneDeploy's infrastructure that plausibly borrows from massive cloud computing based processing power that are easily scalable, whereas your system is not.

Furthermore I am also curious to your system specifications in more detail, such as the type of i7 CPU you are using and GPU. Likewise, what settings did you check (or not) in the Preference dialog (under the Tools menu), regarding your GPU usage in particular?

There's some very critical settings that, if (not) checked, may severely increase processing time. Therefore, some more indetailed information on all your processing parameters, system specifications and general Photoscan settings is very welcome!