Forum

Author Topic: Set-Up a fitting Server-Hardwareconfig on a 1500€ budget  (Read 1510 times)

Razer987

• View Profile
Hallo friends,

at the moment i'm collecting some experince with agisoft with the purpose of getting some areal 3D Photos-Scans with about max. 150 pictures.

At the moment my Hardware-Specs for getting the Pics is:

Yuneec Chroma Blade 4K (UAV)
GoPro Hero 4 and 5 on a 5 m high Pole
Canon Eos 40D

With this Camera-SetUp i want to get the most out of the pictures. As i have already read in this forum it is possible to get good results out of small cameras like GoPro. Therefor i correct my taken Photos (12 MP , Wide FOV) with the LightRoom GoPro Profil to get rid of the Fisheye effect.

At the moment i can only render my 3D Graphics in Photoscan on my Desktop (I7-6700K; 16 GB Ram; R9 390; watercooled) Pc which is for me no longer an option.

I want a new SetUp, like a Server for these tasks. It would be easy to throw 6000 € at someone and buy it but thats not an option ;)

I'm looking for a good used Server option but i dont know what the key features are at that point and can't decide on the following aspects. I hope some of you have already got in touch with these and have some experince.

1. How many Processors. 2 oder 4 Intel Xeon ?
2. Is 64 GB of ECC Ram enough ?
3. Watercooling?
4. Which Graphics Card would be best? Are 2 really neccessary?
5. I want to Run WinServer2012R2 on it for some other tasks at the network too (no havy load) like Mediaserver.

It would be glad if someone can post a link or something where i can get first-hand info of building up such a project or someone can tell me a good store ( like Ebay  ::) ) where i can buy there USED components.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:25:58 PM by Razer987 »

Yoann Courtois

• Engineer in Geodesy, Cartography and Surveying
    • View Profile
Re: Set-Up a fitting Server-Hardwareconfig on a 1500€ budget
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 01:55:05 PM »
Hi Mike !

I won't be able to answer to your whole topic as I don't work with a server but I can give you some tips:

- About the RAM needed, check: http://www.agisoft.com/pdf/tips_and_tricks/PhotoScan_Memory_Requirements.pdf

- About your workflow using GoPro surveys:
I've ever heard that most accurate photogrammetric measurements are produce with original pictures (I mean no post-processing in LightRoom for example). Even you have a standard GoPro fish-eye profil in LightRoom, each camera is different. So i suggest you to use original GoPro pictures, maybe using mask if you want to remove extreme parts of the large FOV.
With our GoPro Hero4 I've handle a huge survey (up to 3000 pict.) with a quite good set of GCPs. That created a very strong bloc (Auto calibration) I was able to fit on the georeferencement. I finally saved the adjusted calibration.
Today I use this calibration on for every survey and the accuracy of my results are really good.

Regards
--
Yoann COURTOIS
R&D Engineer in photogrammetric process and mobile application
Lyon, FRANCE
--