Forum

Author Topic: Start --server and --node at boot time on Linux server  (Read 1910 times)

mhoebeke

• View Profile
Start --server and --node at boot time on Linux server
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »
Hello,

After having used the server/node configuration successfully (the server and node processes run on a CentOS 7 server with Tesla GPUs, and the UI runs on a Ubuntu workstation), I would like to start both processes at boot time. The server process starts flawlessly. However, when encapsulating the command-line for running the node inside a service script, it fails with either a "cannot open display:" error message or a "QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display" error message.

Has anyone had any success in writing system start/stop scripts for PhotoScan for this kind of configuration ?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Start --server and --node at boot time on Linux server
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:52:31 AM »
Hello Mark,

Please use "-platform offscreen" argument (without quotes) to start PhotoScan in node mode on the computer without the display capabilities.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

mhoebeke

• View Profile
Re: Start --server and --node at boot time on Linux server
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 06:08:11 PM »
Hello Alexey,

Many thanks for your hint. I had been using a workaround based on xvfb-run so far, but experienced regular crashes due to a seemingly increased memory footprint.  Since a couple of days, I switched to your solution and things run more smoothly.

I'm still puzzled by the output of htop however showing some bursts in the number of node threads/processes that are regularly spawn when network jobs are running (all of the 40 cores get swamped), but that's another topic altogether.

Thanks again,

Mark