Forum

Author Topic: Question about resolution  (Read 7379 times)

ReginaK

• View Profile
Question about resolution
« on: September 27, 2012, 03:05:30 AM »
Hi,

I'm new at photomapper. I followed one of the tutorials and I downloaded >400 sample images from the ftp (aerial pics)

But the result after everything is done (textures included) is a low res viewport. Is this normal? Is there a way to see high resolution viewport?

I used the standard config as told in the tutorial.

Take a look:
http://imageshack.us/a/img834/9242/agisoft.jpg

David Cockey

• View Profile
Re: Question about resolution
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »
More faces and vertices are needed.

Did you Decimate the model? If so rebuild the model and increase the "Target face count" in "Decimate". Try 1 million faces.

If you did not Decimate the model then rebuild the model and increase "Face count" in "Build Geometry".

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »
Hello ReginaK,

The texture resolution in the model view is limited by the graphic card capabilities. You can check the maximum texture atlas size that can be visualized by used graphic card in the Console pane (fourth line).

To view the texture in the real resolution you need to export it using Tools -> Export texture command. Or use Export orthophoto command in the File menu to specify the projection and desired resolution in real world coordinates (if any).
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

ReginaK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 02:05:14 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

Another question, the first 3D Example (sample04) of the page http://www.agisoft.ru/products/photoscan/professional/

The 3D Rendering is really good, does it have any post processing in another 3D software? Why this 3D rendering is so good? Any different config? Even the buildings looks really good! Is there a way to download the photos from this sample04?

And the second question, I have 2xGTX580, what should I expect?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:09:50 AM by ReginaK »

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:50:57 AM »
Hi Regina,

The resolution is only ever going to be as good as the images you are putting in. You should be able to get very good results from most 10 MP and greater images with sufficient overlap.

The two GTX 580 cards should be more than adequate. You should not run them in SLI to maximise their cuda processing efficiency in Photoscan. Make sure there are two GPUs visible in the preferences dialogue and they are both selected. You should also make sure you have VBO selected to make viewing the models more efficient. 

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Hello ReginaK,

No post processing was used for the mentioned sample, I do not clearly remember the setting used, but suppose that it was Height Field + Sharp (Medium or High, decimated to the reasonable values).
Unfortunately we do not have permission to publish the original photos, but you can see that there is nothing special in it on the corresponding Tutorial page: http://www.agisoft.ru/tutorials/photoscan/05/
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

ReginaK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 05:15:22 AM »
Thanks again. Last question about resolution, does the Build Geometry part have influence on the final export to orthomosaic quality? Or it just have influence on the 3D model, like DEM, PLY etc. Since I'm using the demo version I can't test this part so I want to know.

Thanks

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »
Hello ReginaK,

The quality of the reconstructed geometry effect on the effective DEM resolution, while the orthophoto resolution depends only on the resolution of original images (however, there could be some differences on the resulting orthophoto in case of some surface details were not reconstructed in low quality, for example).
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC