Forum

Author Topic: Issue Generating Tie Points with SEM Images  (Read 1474 times)

David1204

• View Profile
Issue Generating Tie Points with SEM Images
« on: June 22, 2022, 01:36:05 PM »
Hi all, I am trying to use Agisoft in a slightly different way then intended, using images from a scanning electron microscope instead of a regular camera to try and build a 3d model. I recently did some imaging on a rock sample of mine, and while all of my photos align, very little tie points are generated. This causes issues when I try to generate my dense point cloud, and I get a zero resolution error or the point cloud that I generate is not reliable. I have tried generating models previously with other SEM images and had success.

I believe I know the issue, but I am wondering if there is any potential work around. The images I used are very similar in appearance, which I assume makes it difficult for the software to finding alike points. In particular, the center of my images have very little defining features. I have tried adding numerous markers to each image with limited success. I have also attached some images as examples.

One of the ideas I was thinking of is adjusting the contrast to bring out more of the features in each image. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Is there a possible workaround to this? Or suggestions going forward when I am taking images? I would imagine the more features in each image, the better the software will be at generating tie points and aligning images.

Thanks for the help!