Forum

Author Topic: Point cloud generation issue  (Read 1643 times)

MichielJonker

• View Profile
Point cloud generation issue
« on: July 12, 2017, 12:09:25 PM »
Hello,

I've a question about the point cloud generation from Photoscan.

When i'm aligning my photos the generated point cloud is off, sometimes a group of camera's (150/200 out of 2500) camera's is wrongly aligned, but what concerns me more is that one point cloud contains giant holes. When i'm looking at the camera's they aligned fine, but Photoscan wasn't able to generate any points there. This is strange since i previously did the same object using the same photo's (cut into smaller chunks) and back then i had no photo alignment issues at all and Photoscan did generate points there.

In my project are 2700 photo's which Photoscan has to align. To align the photo's i use the following settings:
quality: high
generic preselection: enabled
Key point limit: 40.000
Tie point limit: 4.000

Any suggestions?

Dave Martin

• View Profile
Re: Point cloud generation issue
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »
Michie - one thing to check is that the bounding box is big enough to cover the volume - not just East/West/North/South, but that it is deep enough and high enough - you can chop off the top of high ground or the bottom of a depression this way!
Dave

MichielJonker

• View Profile
Re: Point cloud generation issue
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:39:10 AM »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply, i've checked it and it's not the case, the point cloud is generated nicely in the middle of the bounding box and none of the parts that are missing are colliding with it. Right now i've a workaround by creating seperate chunks for these areas and merging them after i've generated the point cloud.  But i'm still curious why this occured to me.