Forum

Author Topic: Exporting mesh with texture does not look good external software .fbx + .tiff  (Read 5976 times)

obw

• View Profile
Hi there.

How are the exported models with textures actually are working? I've exported .fbx models as DTM with no vertex or texture colors, it opens just fine and no problems.

But when I try to export a DSM model with textures it does not look good. I've exported as .fbx with texture as .tiff. It looks very good in Agisoft when I view it, even if the mesh is not top quality, but when I open in external software it does not look as good. I'm using Autodesk FBX review.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 04:42:52 PM by obw »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Hello obw,

The second screenshot looks like it doesn't contain the texture and only interpolated vertex colors are used.

Are you using Textured shaded mode in FBX review and also is the texture file present in the same folder with FBX file?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

obw

• View Profile
Hi again.

The second screenshot is with textures enabled, the model does not have calculated vertex colors. As the first image shows, in Agisoft it looks very good with textures. In FBX Review texture shaded mode is enabled, see screenshot. See also the screenshot from the folder.

I did some testing with a smaller scale model of the same one. The mesh is created with no vertex colors calclutated, only texture. In FBX Viewer it showed up similary with textures enabled. This is also how the client sees the model since he's using a Autodesk software.

Looks like Agisoft is viewing the model in another way? The FBX Viewer is putting the texture directly on top of the mesh, while Agisoft is kind of interpolating, or smoothing out the surface when enabling textures. Is this only viewable in Agisoft?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
Hello obw,

I think FBX viewer cannot work with large coordinate values properly (millions of meters for UTM projections). So you can either export the model in Local Coordinates or use Shift fields in the Export dialog to subtract the input values from the corresponding coordinates of X and Y fields.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

obw

• View Profile
Hello.

What exactly does the shift Fields do to the coordinates, and what values should be typed in? My Client require a georeferenced model, so I cannot use local coordinates. Is there a better way, maybe to export in another format, or reduce the quality to some part?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
Hello obw,

Input shift values are subtracted from the corresponding coordinates. So it keeps the scale and dimensions of the model, but "shifts" the model according to the input values.

Do you have any examples of georeferenced FBX in the desired projection that is opened properly in FBX viewer? If you save the FBX in non-binary (text format) you can see that the coordinates of the mesh vertices are correct.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

obw

• View Profile
Hi Again.

I'm sorry but I still don't understand the shift function completely.

When a project is shifted, does the accuracy get lower? Is the model still georeferenced properly?

I don't have any examples of good georeferenced models in fbx - What is the best file format (or coordinatesystem?) for large projects like this with large coordinatesystems?

I've tried to play with it a little and the results do get much better, but not as good as in Agisoft. Still looks like Agisoft is smoothing out the texture on top of the model while Autodeks software puts the texture directy on top of the mesh, so if you have a "bad" mesh with it doesn't look good.

obw

• View Profile
Anyone who can help me regarding this issue?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
Hello obw,

Using "shift" option will move the model to another location. So the absolute coordinate values will change according to the shift values used, whereas the relative distances will remain unchanged.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

obw

• View Profile
Hello.

Ok, so basically this there is not way to export a large modell from Agisoft and still keep it georeferenced?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
Hello obw,

If you are using the geographic/projected coordinate system used for the model georeferencing, then the model will be saved in this system. You just need to use proper viewer that can handle large values and is not limited by float (1 byte per value) for the coordinate values.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

obw

• View Profile
Hi again.

Is it possible to export the coordinates as a seperate file (i.e .prj) from Agisoft and then export the model itself as local coordinates?

obw

• View Profile
Hi again.

Sorry to bump this up again, but is there anyone who knows if there is any way to export coordinates as a seperate file on models so we can export the model itself in local coordinates?