Forum

Author Topic: Memory management  (Read 8570 times)

RHenriques

• View Profile
Memory management
« on: August 28, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
It seems that the latest 0.9.0 build (1546) has some problems in the disk memory management.
When trying to use a previous project, Photoscan used about 50 GB of disk memory (about 30 GB used in version 0.8.0). The main problem is related with memory release. Photoscan does not release any disk memory and seem to cumulate that memory in every step, taking several GB after a session. Even after quitting the application, memory is still used for a while until the system slowly releases it. It's not possible to release used memory after the geometry and texture calculation?? It seems that Photoscan needs some routines for memory unload. In my case I got a memory overflow in a portable with only 47 GB available. Photoscan freezes and I had to trash several files to be able to resume it. Previously, in version 0.8, I was able to use the same project with the same amount of available memory.
Cheers

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Memory management
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 04:36:05 PM »
Hello Renato,

Thank you for reporting. We will check it.

Opened project is stored in the memory with all the information: point cloud models for all chunks, depth maps for all chunks (in the previous versions depth maps were not stored neither in project file nor in memory), meshes for all chunks, thumbnails for the current chunk and etc.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 06:52:05 PM »
The RAM problem is a (Windows ) problem of system, Pscan do nothing to RAM, it just how the system control and manage it. it exist utilities - RAM defram etc that can help with that.... try it...
----------------
www.mhb.sk

RHenriques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:45:36 PM »
Hi Wishgranter

Thank you for your tip but I'm not using windows. The problem, in my case, exists in MacOSX. If this is a feature and can improve PS, no problem. As a matter of fact, all my tasks seem to be better accomplished in this latest beta, with great final results. The problem seems to be related with disk memory release. This version tends to cumulate used disk memory without releasing it. Alexey Pasumansky already enlightened me about how PS now handle memory but, even considering those good reasons for memory use, I think that there's some space for memory release routines for finished tasks.

Cheers

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:03:24 AM »
The cumulative grabbing of the memory has always always happened in Photoscan.  It is particularly noticeable if you are digitising or playing around with lots of masks. In my past life working with a software firm it often tended to be the undo feature that gradually grabbed ram as you digitized which may be worth looking into.  To get around it we just limited the undo to a user specified limit.