Forum

Author Topic: Agisoft Photoscan Pro on iMac 27" i5 32/64GB ram  (Read 3766 times)

maxpsql

• View Profile
Agisoft Photoscan Pro on iMac 27" i5 32/64GB ram
« on: October 04, 2017, 11:20:36 AM »
Hi everybody,
I'm going to buy an iMac 27" i5 with 32 o 64 GB of RAM, and I need to use it with Agisoft Photoscan Pro.

Is there anyone in the same condition who can give me feedback on the performances?

Thanks in advance
Max

SAV

• View Profile
Re: Agisoft Photoscan Pro on iMac 27" i5 32/64GB ram
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 03:25:39 AM »
Hi Max,

Even though I like computers from Apple very much, you will probably get a more powerful Windows PC for the same amount of money. One major shortcoming of the latest iMacs is the graphics card (Radeon Pro 570/575/580).

Not the greatest choice for Agisoft Photoscan, because you want the best possible (gaming) graphics card (e.g., Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti) to speed up your processing (or even 2 of them). You will see a huge processing time improvement for ALIGN PHOTOS and BUILD DENSE CLOUD, where a lot/most of the work is done on your GPU (= graphics card) not CPU (=processor).

Additionally, you might even want to get a processor with more cores. The maximum you can get on the iMac at the moment are 4 cores. More cores are better/quicker during image alignment.

The best Mac for Agisoft Photoscan is probably the new iMac Pro which will be released later this year.
Powerful VEGA GPU and up to 18 cores. See here: https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/
Won't be cheap though ;-)

Probably worth to wait a few more months (unless you need a new computer uregently).

Regards,
SAV

maxpsql

• View Profile
Re: Agisoft Photoscan Pro on iMac 27" i5 32/64GB ram
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »
Hi Sav,
thanks for the detailed answer, the doubt was just that regarding the video card.
I prefer Apple, but it is clear that a Windows PC is the best choice at present with the same money... or less!  ;)

Thanks again and have a nice day
Max