Forum

Author Topic: Model Location shift after import to ArcScene [Solved]  (Read 2439 times)

matt07lx

• View Profile
Model Location shift after import to ArcScene [Solved]
« on: September 16, 2017, 06:29:01 AM »
This is more of a GIS question than Photoscan, I suppose, but I figure someone here might know the answer. I created a series of models in Photoscan of archaeological layers that are all georeferenced using the same markers shot with a total station one time. Therefore I am able to stack them in several programs (CloudCompare and Photoscan, too, by appending the various models into the same project), and they align perfectly since they use the exact same markers with the same exact UTM coordinates. However, when I import the Collada files into ArcScene as multipatch layers, each model ends up slightly shifted (perhaps a few centimeters). Nothing aligns perfectly, even when if I import the UTM coordinates of the markers as a shapefile.

The odd thing is that I've even checked the orthomosaic files from the same models, and they align in ArcMap perfectly, and the UTM markers are precisely located on the targets, etc. What's the difference between orthomosaics in ArcMap and multipatch files in ArcScene that I'm missing? Is it something to do with the UTM coordinates getting rounded down or something in the conversion from Collada to multipatch?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:43:23 AM by matt07lx »

matt07lx

• View Profile
Re: Model Location shift after import to ArcScene
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 12:43:06 AM »
Just in case anyone else ever finds this, I thought I would share the that I was able to figure this out. It had to do with the length of the UTM coordinates. I found this old threat that describes how to trim the number of digits using the "Shift" parameters in the Export Model dialogue: http://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=452.msg26554#msg26554

After shortening the UTM coordinates, I'm now able to import the COLLADA models into ArcScene and they are aligned perfectly. They also display the texture correctly after the first step! I don't have to use the awkward process where you have to do "Replace With Model" from a model in Local Coordinates, as there are numerous tutorials out there explaining. The problem is the length of the UTM coordinates.

Dave Martin

• View Profile
Re: Model Location shift after import to ArcScene [Solved]
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 09:12:30 AM »
Thanks for sharing Matt

Dave