Forum

Author Topic: Texture quality drops in a merged chunk  (Read 1713 times)

Nordvick

• View Profile
Texture quality drops in a merged chunk
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have a large UAV photo dataset of a river cliff with about 1000 photos. I have divided it into 10 chunks. All photos were perfectly alligned in each chunk. Then I have created dense clouds (average quality), models (about 1.5 mln polygons in each chunk) and textures (general, mosaic, 20000) in each chunk separately. The models were of amazing quality and perfectly suitable for further geological intepretation. The dense cloud of a merged chunk also looks fantastic. However, in a merged chunk I see the texture quality is going down, even though I have decimated a composite model down to 2-3 mln polygons and rebuilt textures.

Could anyone suggest how to resolve this issue?

Cheers,

Nordvick

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Texture quality drops in a merged chunk
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 12:06:47 PM »
Hello Nordvick,

If you merge the chunks using Merge Models option, then the resulting chunk will have 10 pages of the texture atlas, so the source quality of the texture will be preserved, however, the visualization response time may be slow.

But it you are rebuilding the texture in the merged chunk using 20 000 pixel option and single page atlas, then the resolution of the texture will drop at least by 10 times, as you've got only 20 k x 20 k atlas instead of 10 pages of the similar resolution.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Nordvick

• View Profile
Re: Texture quality drops in a merged chunk
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »
Hi Alexey,

Thank you for your reply.

After merging chunks, I cannot visualize my model correctly. The program always crashes.

I tried another scenario where I cleaned up my photoset and added photos (800+) into one chunk and runned appropriate sequence of operations to get textured mesh. Unfortunately the texture quality didn't satisfy me. When I increase a number of texture images to get a desirable level of detailization, the program crashes displaying "not enough memory error". Indeed my laptop is not so powerful. The configuration is Intel Core i5-6200 CPU 2.3GHz, 16Gb Ram, 4Gb Intel Graphics.

But once again, in a separate chunk with 150-200 photos I get extremely nice results, but what to do with a larger objects as my long (2km) river cliff? Are there any possible ways to optimize texture construction for such objects having relatively low machine configuration?

All the best,

Nordvick